How to handle English weather

The 3 countries which I lately had the possibility to live in (if you are curious about which one and why click here), have two main things in common: their beer culture (unfortunately I’m more a wine person so I’m afraid I can’t say more about this topic… 🙂 ) aaand this gloomy, slightly depressing, weather, especially in Enlgand (sorry dear English friends..).

BUT could this be a reson to not enjoy my days? ABSOLUTELY NOT. 🙂

Here are my tips to handle this issue

1 | Stop checking the weather forecast

You can probably already expect what the weather forcast will predict and for sure seeing those gloomy, sad grey clouds with high probability of rain enclosed  Monday – Tuesday – Wensday -Thursday – Friday – Saturday – Sunday, won’t change the situation. So why don’t just delet that app that you have on your phone and use the classical old way: wake up, open the curtains of your window and look at the sky. Be positive, sun arrives also in England sometimes and there is no better feeling to start your day with a beautiful surprizing sun!

(Of course don’t follow this suggestion if you’re planning a barbecue/outdoor party/whatever event requires nice and warm weather. In this case, check the weathercast the day before but always have a plan B! See point 3…)

2  | Stop buying umbrellas

I admit it, I’ve been the first that once arrived in the UK buyed an colorful and practical umbrella. Well… it lasted 2 hours, okay, it was poundland quality… but even the second one I had (6£) didn’t last longer so I refused to buy a third one. And you know what? I can confirm you that (except extraordinary storms) english rain is that kind of stupid, just annoying rain that almost always won’t wet you too much. The problem is THE WIND (to be clear: it will be never as bad as the danish wind – take it as a consolation), that’s why umbrellas have short life.

3 | Dress as an onion

It can happen (many times dear followers)  that its super clowdy and cold during the morning and then around luch time an amazing sun comes out, as if for a moment you can illude yourself that spring is finally arriving but don’t worry, other clouds are alredy there to erase any hope. So, the only solution to handle these cold-”hot”-cold temperatures is to dress as an onion(multiple layers), in this way you can just take off your jacket/scarf/blazer in case it’s getting warmer and reput them on when those ray of sunlight are gone.

[Little note: many english people barely never wear a coat…yes, even during winter!! I’m still trying to understand how they can do this so please feel free to clarify if you have an answer!]

4 | Stop complaining – the sunshine is inside you

Everyone knows, even english citizens know that british weather is not the greatest in the world. I’m sorry to say it but complaining about it all day, won’t help both the weather to be better both your mood. Also, after a while it’s kind of annoying for the people who surround you. SO, stop grumble about it and be your own sunshine! Think positive, maybe the weather is not good today but you managed to accomplish a task you weren’t sure about, or you received a nice message, there’s ALWAYS something good happening in your day! And bare in mind that YOU could also be the sunshine for someone else! Maybe by just writing a “Have a nice day” text or helping him/her with something…. There are so many reasons why you could be happy and warm despite the weather, why not trying to dig deeper and see how?

What about you? Which is your tip to not be bothered about bad weather?

Next Post

• Reply Meghan Arnold

Great post! I love the “dress like an onion” advice. Haha! This especially helps me, as I’ll be traveling there in August. I’ll be mostly prepared now. Thanks!

17/04/2016 at 12:10
    • Reply fromdreamtoplan

haha glad to hear that! I’m happy it has been useful!
      Enjoy your trip, August is definitely one of the best periods! 😊

17/04/2016 at 14:18
  • Reply ravenclawatheart

Hmm, one tip I could give. No matter how harsh the weather gets, it’s only today. Tomorrow could get better. Coming from a city with known bad weather I’ve learned that complaining will not fix it. You can move, but you could just get new weather problems you don’t want. Some great days could be made without the weather interfering.

21/04/2016 at 1:16
  • Reply MissLilly

ahahahhaha all so true! In London it doesn’t really rain, it’s mostly drizzling, so what I tend to do is dress a coat that has a hoodie. The weather is in a way predictable, if it’s sunny while your home, it will start to rain as soon as you go out! That’a a given! And I dress as an onion too and always carry some gloves in my pockets.

21/04/2016 at 10:27
    • Reply fromdreamtoplan

Happy you can rely on it!! hahaha so true, it’s like if the rain is just waiting for you! Ohh the gloves tip is also a good one! Especially when it’s windy! Thank you for your comment! 🙂

21/04/2016 at 10:57
  • Reply calista

I’m more of a wine person too, but thankfully, exporting nice Italian or French wine is still legal! I love your “dress as an onion” advice. Perfect!

21/04/2016 at 22:25
  • Reply Stephanie Leduc

It’s really quite sad that London is so gloomy all the time, but hey, that’s the way it is! It is a huge dream of mine to visit England, I love reading posts like this because it makes me excited for when I will (one day) go haha!

26/04/2016 at 2:03
    • Reply fromdreamtoplan

Ahh Stephanie I’m sure you’ll make it one day! And I can assure you that London is such a beautiful city that you won’t even bother about the weather! 🙂

26/04/2016 at 9:37
  • Reply Tanja

this was funny! dress warmly! I don’t mind the rain that much but If I’m cold…

26/04/2016 at 17:18
    • Reply fromdreamtoplan

Oh yes that for sure!! 🙂 Thank you for your comment! 🙂

27/04/2016 at 9:37
  • Reply Tania Adrianne Gammon

My favourite one was ‘dress as an onion’ haha. But yes you are spot on, I hope you’re enjoying your travels around Britain!
    Tania @ http://www.thegammonkitchen.wordpress.com

27/04/2016 at 19:40
    • Reply fromdreamtoplan

Hahaha glad you like it! 🙂 Yes I am thank you! And thank you for commenting! 🙂

28/04/2016 at 9:36
  • Reply Happy Rabbit Travels

Congratulations!
    I have nominated your blog for the Real Neat Blog Award.
    More about this nomination is at https://happyrabbittravels.wordpress.com/2016/05/03/real-neat-blog-award-nominated-by-dear-kitty-some-blog/

09/05/2016 at 6:02
    • Reply fromdreamtoplan

Oh thank you so much for nominating me but unfortunately I tend to not partecipate to these awards but thanks a lot for thinking about my blog! 🙂

09/05/2016 at 9:36
  • Reply Her Grand Tour

This had me laughing so much! I’m American but I have lived in England for six years. In America I lived in Arizona and California… so the English weather was a big adjustment. Being an onion is key! Thanks for making me smile!

09/05/2016 at 20:15
  • Reply helenloveselephants

Oh my gosh this is such a funny post! Love it! 😂😂😁

11/05/2016 at 11:10
  • Reply Angie

Looks like I’ll have to get used to the weather there! We’re heading to London at the end of July and will be staying there for 6 months. I’m pretty sure we’ll be getting plenty of rainy weather! The umbrella situation seems so depressing. Lol.

12/05/2016 at 16:08
    • Reply fromdreamtoplan

Hahaha yes, good luck with that! But I can assure you that it’s definitely worth it! 😉

12/05/2016 at 16:11
      • Reply Angie

Yes, I’m sure it is! I look forward to the stay.

12/05/2016 at 16:12
  • Reply freebutfun

Haha, this one deserves a “like” already for the title! But the onion style works here in the north of Europe too ☺

16/05/2016 at 4:52
    • Reply fromdreamtoplan

Hahaha thank you! Oh yes, I used the same techniques when I lived in Denmark! 😉

16/05/2016 at 6:54
  • Reply Laura

Haha brilliant! I especially agree with ‘dressing like an onion’! You never know what the English weather is going to do! I do think you should always have an umbrella in your bag though – better to be prepared…

16/05/2016 at 12:50
    • Reply fromdreamtoplan

Glad you like it!! Yes I guess that would be a good solution! 🙂

16/05/2016 at 19:33
  • Reply Tina

Haha perfect advice! I got my hair done the other day, so finally had to buy an umbrella. Let’s see how long it lasts! Dress like an onion! Brilliant 🙂

17/05/2016 at 15:07
    • Reply fromdreamtoplan

Ahh god luck with your hair!! 🙂
      hahaha happy you liked it!

17/05/2016 at 15:09
  • Reply Wendy

Haha – clearly 55 years living in England I should be used to the English climate – I am but my hubby grumbles constantly. My favourite suggestion has to be number 4 – as it aligns with my blog ‘Brilliance Within’ – reveal your inner brilliance to the world! Love it x

18/05/2016 at 15:18
    • Reply fromdreamtoplan

haha happy you could relate! Thank you for reading and commenting Wendy 🙂

18/05/2016 at 15:35
  • Reply Chez Shea

Love the underlying wisdom of this post! Be your own Sunshine. That’s really cool.

18/05/2016 at 22:38
  • Reply leonimenday

ahahaha all so good and true. great post! 🙂

24/05/2016 at 21:21
  • Reply Corina Joy

Love this! So true. The sunshine really is in us all 🙂 The weather is pretty much the same here in Ireland and I’ve do all of these. Thanks for posting 😀

15/06/2016 at 11:02
    • Reply Fromdreamtoplan

Glad you could relate! Thanks for reading and for the nice comment 🙂

15/06/2016 at 19:20
  • Reply Beatrice

E come dicono gli scozzesi “Non esiste il brutto tempo, esistono solo vestiti sbagliati” 🙂
    Quando l’amore per un luogo supera ogni possibile condizione meteo, l’abbigliamento a cipolla è all’ordine del giorno 😉
    A presto!
    Beatrice

17/10/2016 at 10:32
  • Reply 5 Reasons You Won’t Be Bored While Visiting Cambridge (if you come from a big city) – fromdreamtoplan

[…] as you can see from the pics. But, hey, now that it’s a year that I live in the UK I learnt how to handle this English weather and it won’t defintiely be an excuse for not going for new […]

14/03/2017 at 23:35