How stage fright helped me overcome my fears

As I wrote in the 10 true, fun, facts about me, before having the self confidence to perform in front of a public without problems I had quite a few unhappy moments due to stage fright.

Well, okay, not that now performing in public is the easiest thing in my life… I do still have that excitement/tension before going on stage but I think this is normal and ย part of the whole “on stage” experience!

Anyway, overtaking that fear, not only improved my performances but also my way of approaching any kind of personal challenge: school exams, public presentations, interviews…

Why? Hear are a few reasons:

SOMETIMES YOU WIN, SOMETIMES YOU LEARN

Especailly during singing competitions, but not only, also during gigs or plays, it has happend that things went wrong. Sometimes totally wrong, like that time when I COMPLEATELY mistaken the tone of a song (yep, it happened…). Other times, not that much, for example when I forgot the lyrics of a song but remember the rythm so I just sang random words which sound fine but didn’t have actually sense (this is possible particularly when you do not have an english speaking audience ๐Ÿ˜‰ ).

In both scenarios, the feeling you have when the unhappy event is happening is TOTAL PANIC: you realise something wrong is going on + it’s not a rehearsal + everyone is looking at you. What a trio.

But you know what? If we do not do mistakes how can we ever improve ourselves and lear? And this can be generalize to anything, yes! By mistaking we are able to develop a new trick that makes us feel more confident for next time.ย In the first case, for example, after that time I knew that for that tricky song, before starting, I first needed to hear the key note. By doing this for a few performances, after 2/3 times I didn’t need this little help anymore and was able to sing the song with no problems!

IF I DID THAT, THIS DEFINITELY WON’T SCARE ME!

Performing on stage, it’s not easy. And of course this can be said for other million things like running a marathon, giving a presentation, writing a book, baking a cake, moving to a new placeimagine something you did, for which you challenged youself, prevailed a fear for it and eventually, had a great satisfaction. You did it! Despite the difficulties, the doubts and fears…you succeed!Right? So why are you hesitating for this other challenge?

This is what I ask myselef every time I face a new effortful situation: “Lisa, you managed to sing in front of a whole theater, to win that singing competition that you would have never believed…are you scared for this 10 minutes oral exam? ”

Well okay, they are not the same things but for both you’ve trained before in order to be prepared and ready to give your best. There’s no reason you couldn’t succeed.

Try it. Take an achievement, a satisfaction and use it as motivation for a new one. Maybe it won’t go as well as you wished but then you’ll know what to change next time! ๐Ÿ˜‰

What about you? Which was one of your biggest fears? and what have you gained from overcoming it?

• Reply ravenclawatheart

I like your post. I can sort of relate to it. In a way, I am shy and introverted (yet i love to sing too). When I put my mind to it and overcome the obstacle, I can do better than I anticipated. Reading this is helping me feel more motivated to continue with blogging. (even though I just started yesterday. lol!) But you’re right. Facing your fears does help us get closer to figuring everything out!

20/04/2016 at 22:00
    • Reply fromdreamtoplan

So happy to hear that! Glad it has been useful and Keep going with blogging, I am also new here and I have to say that once youโ€™re in you kinda get more excited! Thank you for your comment and Iโ€™m looking forward to reading your posts! ๐Ÿ˜Š

20/04/2016 at 22:05
  • Reply amazingjuvenile

This is a great post! i too love to singggggg….. And this post is too relatable! ๐Ÿ™‚

06/05/2016 at 9:31
    • Reply fromdreamtoplan

Thank you!! It’s really important for me so reading this comment is very special! Thanks for reading and commenting ๐Ÿ™‚

06/05/2016 at 9:39
      • Reply amazingjuvenile

ohh it’s my pleasure ๐Ÿ™‚ Looking forward to your coming posts :*

06/05/2016 at 18:13
  • Reply JoHanna Massey

” Take an achievement, a satisfaction and use it as motivation for a new one.” Whenever I have tried something scary new I have used the technique you suggested. It has helped me to have experienced a lifetime of most excellent skills and adventures. I hope this great post of yours gets a big reading as it is could open many new possibilities for others. ๐Ÿ“ฎ

09/05/2016 at 15:52
    • Reply fromdreamtoplan

I’m glad you can rely and thank you for reading and the Kind words! It’s really important to me so thank you very much! ๐Ÿ™‚

09/05/2016 at 15:56
      • Reply JoHanna Massey

It makes me so happy to read of young people choosing the Bigger Planet Life. And that you are going to blog it early and onward is wonderful!๐Ÿ“ฎ

09/05/2016 at 15:59
  • Reply Mabel Kwong

I am like you. I’m not a huge fan of standing in front of people and doing something. That includes giving a speech or a presentation ๐Ÿ˜€ Over time, I’ve learnt to imagine that I’m the only person in the room and focus on projecting my voice towards the back of the room. That has helped ๐Ÿ™‚

10/05/2016 at 12:21
    • Reply fromdreamtoplan

Yes that’s also a useful technique! Thanks for reading and for commenting Mabel ๐Ÿ™‚

10/05/2016 at 12:25
  • Reply Matea Pichet

Performing in public is by far my biggest fear. It’s strange because it didn’t use to be. I was so comfortable on a stage until I was probably 13/14 and now it scares me to death, especially singing… I thought I could start gospel choir classes to get back at it. At least it’s in a group so it might help!
    Good article ๐Ÿ™‚

24/05/2016 at 8:03
    • Reply fromdreamtoplan

Singing in a choir is a great idea!! I actually started singing in a gospel choir and it helped me a lot to gain self confidence! I strongly recommend!! ๐Ÿ™‚ thank you for reading and for the nice comment! ๐Ÿ™‚

24/05/2016 at 8:34
  • Reply Fernanda Guevara

Wow, I never even thought of doing that. I think this is great advice, really loved the post. I think I’ll try it in the future ,thanks!๐Ÿ˜Š

18/06/2016 at 9:22
    • Reply Fromdreamtoplan

Thank you Fernanda for reading! Glad you liked it! ๐Ÿ™‚

18/06/2016 at 9:24
  • Reply Hannah Galvin

I used to have such terrible stage fright when I was going to sing, that I physically felt ill. But somehow positive feedback and singing lessons has helped me overcome these fears and I completely love performing now, I have no issue with nerves taking over me anymore, I use them to fuel my performance.

02/10/2016 at 18:10

I had/have the same, really! And actually it’s funny thinking about those moments compared to how I feel now before and after performing, I’m so glad we both learned to enjoy them moment, as you said, it gives you so much energy! ๐Ÿ™‚

02/10/2016 at 19:50
  • Reply The Value of Purusing a Passion – fromdreamtoplan

[…] well. For example, by overcoming my stage fright when singing (if you want to know about it click here ๐Ÿ˜‰ ) I now have no problems during presentations I often have to do at uni, both if it is just in […]

12/12/2016 at 23:25