4 Hacks To Craft On A Budget

There are sooo many nice crafting stores where I’m living at the moment, it’s like being into temptation (if you want to know why click here) every time I walk around the cityΒ center!

Unfortunately, how most of you crafty friends know, this kind of stuff is generally not cheap at all. Therefore, unless you have enough money to buy all your stationary items in those kind of stores (then lucky you), here are some tips about how to maintain this hobby without going in the red:

1 | Learn from your granny – KEEP EVERYTHINGΒ

I don’t know yours, but my granny (and my mum) have this mania of keeping any kind of stuff related to a special memory (like the first dummy I’ve used…don’t ask,wondering how that is still intact…).

Okay, do not take this literally (you can’t even imagine how many things you’ll end up having!!) BUT do take it as an advice to keep nice items you come across, for example: wrapping paper of gifts you’ve received, magazines, news papers, cereal boxes … anything that you like and think might be useful one day!

2 | Implement the “RECOVERING ART”Β

Have you ever thought that a cake box can actually become a beautiful gift box just by re-covering it with nice paper and adding a few decorations? Have you ever thougt that, that ugly wrapping paper used for your birthday present can actually be cutten and used as background for one the pages of the scrapbook you’re making? Well, now you know!
Everything can have a second life! Maybe you can’t imagine using it now but who knows…that button could be the exact same colour of the fabric you’ll be sewing one day!

3 | PRINT & GLUE istead of buying

Stickers and pasties are one of the cutest things to use – I feel you there.

But once again, they are not the cheapest things + often when you buy a whole pack you end using just a half.

What about cutting nice shapes/ flowers/ letters from a colorful magazine? Not only you’ll end up saving money, but also the “collage” effect, if well matched. is super nice! And if you don’t find the right shape or colour: thanks god there’s Pinterest! It’s FULL of free templates & printables on the web (for example this one, or this one, or this one…) I’m sure you’ll find what fits you!

4 | Don’t stick to stationary stores only

Stationary stores are not the only places where you can find crafting equipment. Keep an eye also on normal supermarkets and house items stores, they often have temporary offers or promotions: cheap and advantageous!

For the ones who live in Europe I strongly suggest LIDL and ALDI. Globally, IKEA has frequently interesting supplies.

What about you? Do you have any tricks to not go in red when crafting?

• Reply christelcee

Nice tips!! Love your blog! It’s nice finding crafting blogs.

22/04/2016 at 21:42
  • Reply Diana

Hi Lisa!!! Thanks for stopping by my blog….love yours too! Keep up the good work!

26/04/2016 at 11:21
  • Reply growtastecreate

Thanks for the tips. I set up a craft trunk of goodies and supplies and she is tearing through them! Great suggestions for saving money on supplies.

29/04/2016 at 16:29
  • Reply Nena

All really great tips! I especially like the print and glue idea. And what grandma doesn’t keep everything, right? Lol

29/04/2016 at 23:39
  • Reply Kaitlyn

These are the best tips!! Sometimes the price is totally what keeps me away from crafting more!!

03/05/2016 at 6:42
    • Reply fromdreamtoplan

Yes I totally agree!! Glad it’s useful πŸ™‚ thanks for commenting πŸ™‚

03/05/2016 at 7:35
  • Reply Gueda

These are really nice tips. I keep almost everything that can be used in crafting and there are no regrets. I usually spend a lot less, because I end up having most of the things I’ll use for each project. It is very useful. πŸ™‚

09/05/2016 at 14:24
    • Reply fromdreamtoplan

Oh happy to hear that! Yes right?? It’s way more cheaper and I think it’s actually a satisfaction to give a second life to old stuff! Thank you for reading and commenting πŸ™‚

09/05/2016 at 14:29
      • Reply Gueda

Yes, it is satisfying not to throw away everything. It makes me sad that people don’t usually see the potential of things they have. I usually think that if I can think at least one way to use something, I will. πŸ™‚

09/05/2016 at 14:53
  • Reply mulchandmorecrafts

thrift stores can also be a great source for craft materials too, and when you reach the point in a certain craft that you can buy wholesale or make your own/ re-purpose something it saves even more. Dollar Store dishpans and colanders are great for draining dyed stuff or washed wool πŸ™‚ (a grandma here!)

09/05/2016 at 17:24
    • Reply fromdreamtoplan

Oh yes I totally agree! Thank you for your tip and for reading the post! πŸ™‚

09/05/2016 at 18:32
  • Reply sweet monday

Great tips!

12/05/2016 at 18:24
  • Reply Chasing Potatoes

Great tips. I love crafting too. Thanks for sharing. πŸ˜€

GLY

13/05/2016 at 6:21
  • Reply freebutfun

Good tips! On top of these: use sales to stock up. Let people around you know you like to do crafts and they’ll supply you πŸ˜‰

16/05/2016 at 4:51
    • Reply fromdreamtoplan

Oh that’s a great tip too!! Thank you for commenting! πŸ™‚

16/05/2016 at 6:53
  • Reply themessybrunette

Good tips ! I keep everything & people give their crap because you know she’ll use it for something !!!

20/05/2016 at 19:49
  • Reply 3 Handmade Gift Ideas for Travel Lovers – fromdreamtoplan

[…] As you can notice most of the materials used are recycled so the expenses are not high at all, but if you want to have more tips about How To Craft on a Budget I suggest you to check the tips I gave in thisΒ postΒ Β πŸ˜‰ […]

07/06/2016 at 14:42
  • Reply Emma

ALL OF THE PRINGLES CANS. I collect them and Cheeselets cans (once the goodies inside are eaten, of course) and I’ve covered them with pretty scrapbook paper to use as gift boxes. For my dad, especially, I fill them with his favourite sweets and put an “IOU a refill” note in the bottom (because I always buy too many to fit lol). One Christmas, I used a Pringles can to hold a bunch of bun/muffin cases since he likes to bake. The best part is that you get to have fun making the stuff, too. πŸ˜€

But I stopped saving stuff like bits of scrapbook paper, though. I had a massive destash a few weeks ago because I ran out of room on my crafting shelves and found that I was keeping the tiniest scraps just because I “might” use them one day and knew I never would. (I forget they exist, so I cut new pieces out and never use the scraps themselves.) It’s good advice in general, but you have to be ruthless about it, too!

09/07/2016 at 15:51

Oh that’s such a brilliant idea!! I’ve never thought about re-using Pringles cans, thank you for the tip Emma!!
      And yes girl, I can totally feel you…I have stuff that I collected years and years ago but still waiting to be used! I guess I have to be more selective and realistic πŸ˜€

12/07/2016 at 14:19
  • Reply Why I Will Never Betray My Agenda Obsession – fromdreamtoplan

[…] right now you’re thinking “Isn’t this decorating stuff expensive?” click here and all your doubts will be erased πŸ˜‰ […]

26/07/2016 at 0:00