Tips to Travel in Belgium & My Top Cities

I had the pleasure to live 6 months in Belgium (wondering why? Click here 😉)and during this period I took advantage of weekends to visit this beautiful country. Because of this, before telling you my favourite Belgian cities I have a little but really useful

TIPS WHEN TRAVELLING BY TRAIN IN BELGIUM

Train connections in Belgium are really good and not much expensive, especially if you use the GO-PASS. There are  different kind of  Go-pass:

GO PASS: For people under 26, you pay 50€ and you can use it for 10 trips inside Belgium.

GO PASS 1: Again for people under 26, you pay € 6 and use it for a single journey to anywhere in the country.

Plus, there are many discounts for seniors or if you travel during the weekend, so I suggest you to check all the options before buying the “normal” ticket 😉

MY FAVOURITE BELGIAN CITIES

I can say to have had an overview of the main cities so I’ve decided to share my opinion about them with this short list. For all my Belgian followers,please notice that it’s my personal opinion and some cities listed (like Liege and Antwerp), the day I was there the weather was not nice at all so maybe my opinion is influenced by that too! 😉

#5 Liege

2015-12-04 12.17.25

Liege is in the French speaking part of Belgium and the first thing you can notice when arriving is the amazing modern structure of the train station Liege-Guillemins. Unfortunately I do not have good pictures to show you but the roof is like an enormous wave made by white metal and glass.  I’ve been there during the Christmas period and in the city centre there was a nice market!

#4 Antwerp

2015-11-21 11.28.06

Antwerp is an industrial city, again the train station (Antwerpen-Centraal) is one of my favourite buildings there. The style is pretty different from the one of Liege because is an historical structure with ornaments and decorations, definitely stunning ad first view when getting off the train.

2015-11-21 12.50.44

While walking around the city, maybe between one shop and another – Antwerp is known around Belgium as the “perfect shopping city” –  you will notice many different and outstanding buildings. Most of them are hotels or famous stores but they are the perfect example of typical Belgian constructions. Another attraction of the city is the Cathedral of Our Lady, which is a is a Roman Catholic cathedral.

#3 Brussels & Bruges

I really couldn’t decide between these two cities so I decided to put them at the same position.2015-10-25 17.18.53

I’ve been to Brussels for many occasions and each of the time I was there I discovered something new. I would define it a modern dynamic city but at the same time it still preserve many historical and classical aspects. I could tell lot of things about this city, that’s why I wrote this separate post about it. Go and check it out if you’d like suggestions and tips about what to visit and see there 😉

2016-01-16 14.00.12

I’ve been to Bruges twice: the first time during the Christmas period, the second time during a cold, windy and rainy January day. The first time I felt literally in love with this city, the lights, the market, the cute little houses…when I went back maybe because the Christmas atmosphere was gone, but I had the feeling it was empty (despite the amount of people which were there was still impressive!). Anyway, what characterizes more this city is the medieval atmosphere, indeed Bruges historic centre was given UNESCO World Heritage status in 2000.

#2 Ghent

2015-10-24 11.35.30

Ghent definitely surprised me. Before going to Belgium I heard a lot about Bruges so I kind of expected I would have liked it, while Ghent was a new discovery. I would describe it as a mix between Bruges, for its medieval buildings, and Brussels, for its dynamic atmosphere.

2015-10-24 12.23.50
What I liked more about the city, beyond the historical centre in general, the two main churches: St. Nicholas’ Church and Saint Bavo Cathedral. The first one has stunning coloured glass windows definitely worth seeing!

#1 Leuven

2015-10-09 18.53.43
Well Leuven will always remain on top of the list, Leuven is the place in which I studied and lived. Just 30 minutes by train from Brussels, Leuven is a little but certainly active student city.  I really enjoyed staying there because despite the town itself is not modern, you can perceive the city is dominate by young and energetic people. So if  you’re visiting Brussels I strongly recommend to take a day-trip here!

What about you? Have you ever been to Belgium? If yes, what did you like the most?

Lovely new blog design! I didn’t know Belgium has so many charming places – what a great overview!

31/05/2016 at 15:42
    • Reply fromdreamtoplan

Thank you!! Glad you like it!
      Yes, it’s a little country but with lots of lovely places! 😊

31/05/2016 at 16:17

I went to Brussels once and indeed it is a beautiful city. Great post! And stunning layout by the way 🙂

31/05/2016 at 17:12
  • Reply Bat-el

Wow Belgium has always been on my bucket list. First off because of the beer and second because of the chocolate. Thanks for this great post!

31/05/2016 at 18:07
    • Reply Lisa Tiranti

It’s definitely worth it going!! 😉
      Glad you liked the post, thanks for commenting! 🙂
      Sorry for the late reply but I had problems with my laptop 🙁

14/06/2016 at 21:09
  • Reply Angie

I’ve been to Belgium once and it was to Brussels. Not a good experience though as we got robbed and my husband was threatened at knifepoint. No one bothered helping. It was a miserable experience. Nevertheless, I’d like to return to visit Bruges and Antwerp at some point.

31/05/2016 at 18:49
    • Reply fromdreamtoplan

Oh god, that’s not a nice experience at all!! I can understand why you do not have a good memory about it!
      Hopefully next time will go better!

31/05/2016 at 18:56
      • Reply Angie

Thanks. I think it will. I can’t just let that one experience define the country. It can happen anywhere.

10/06/2016 at 18:36
  • Reply Meenakshi

We traveled to Brussels, Bruges, and Ghent about five years ago. Belgian waffles and chocolates are the best! Thank you for reminding me of our wonderful trip 🙂

31/05/2016 at 21:51
    • Reply Lisa Tiranti

Yes they absolutely are! 😉 I’m glad you liked it! Thank you for reading and commenting Meenakshi! 🙂
      Sorry for the late reply but I had problems with my laptop 🙁

14/06/2016 at 21:08

Thank you! Gorgeous photos and good info. Ghent sounds really interesting. ☺

01/06/2016 at 8:08
  • Reply Grace Ingal

oh my goodness! Belgium looks like a lovely place !! you captured each city so beautifully 🙂

01/06/2016 at 23:56
    • Reply Lisa Tiranti

It is!! 😉
      Thank you for the nice comment Grance! 🙂 Sorry for the late reply but I had problems with my laptop 🙁

14/06/2016 at 21:06
  • Reply Nicky

Great photos! Useful tips too, if I ever visit. I gave you a shout out on my monthly round up post – https://theshimmerwithinher.com/2016/06/02/monthly-musings-may/ just thought I’d let you know. Have a great day 🙂

02/06/2016 at 8:05
    • Reply Lisa Tiranti

Thank you very much Nicky, so nice of you! 🙂

14/06/2016 at 21:04
  • Reply Places to check out when visiting Brussels – fromdreamtoplan

[…] I told you before in this  post, during my stay in Belgium I visited Brussels many times. I really love this city, is not […]

10/06/2016 at 12:06
  • Reply Christina

OMG I love Brussels at Christmas time! Speaking of which If you haven’t already you MUST go to Germany for Christmas. I never ever experienced “Christmas” like that before. 🙂

17/06/2016 at 20:40
    • Reply Fromdreamtoplan

Yes me too!! Oh yes I’ve heard a lot about Christmas in Germany, didn’t have the opportunity to go there during that period yet but I hope I’ll manage soon! 😉

17/06/2016 at 20:46
  • Reply TAG: Places where… – fromdreamtoplan

[…] to study and live in many cities so I will  cite the ones in which I have the best fun memories: Leuven, Belgium and Nottingham, […]

22/06/2016 at 10:41
  • Reply 7 Reasons Why Leuven Should Be On Your List When Visiting Belgium – fromdreamtoplan

[…] I mentioned you here and here, due to my studies (want to know more about them? click here 😉 ) I had the possibility […]

08/09/2016 at 23:18
  • Reply A 3 Year Bachelor Degree in 3 Different Countries – What? How is it really? | fromdreamtoplan

[…] the “home university” of the program is the Belgian university, indeed the second year is mandatory to go there. While the first year, you can choose […]

14/07/2017 at 22:32