3 Handmade Gift Ideas for Travel Lovers

1 DECORATE A MEMORY / GIFT BOX

Last year my sister & I gave to my parents, as anniversary present, plane tickets for a destination of their choice, I therefore decided to decorate the box which contained them following a travelling theme.
I have mainly used old city maps and a postcard/picture which matched to theme. I have then wrote a sentence that could suggest them what the real present was😉

It’s really simple and not too fancy but I think in this case I preferred plain decorations😊
This idea can also be used if you want to keep all the memories related to a trip (such as tickets, bills, pictures…) in a box, you could decorate it using the map of the city/ country you’ve been!

2 CREATE AN IMAGINARY ROAD TRIP

12654192_10207645826920119_4324249047145175649_n

Imaginary Road Trip to Belgium

This was the Christmas gift I made for my American friend. I met her in Denmark and in 5 months we have travelled together to soooo many places. I can truly say she’s at the top of the list of my favourite travel mates. Unfortunately she was an exchange student so after these months she had to go back to USA but I always keep her updated about my adventures! I wanted to make her something that could make her feel again the excitement of going for a trip! So, I made her an imaginary road trip to Belgium, here’s how it works:

-I printed a map of Belgium in which I marked the itinerary of the trip
-I made an envelope for each day in which there were pictures of the city we were visiting that day and a little description about where I would have brought her and why I liked that city.
-Since, when people usually came to visit me in Belgium they wanted to taste the typical belgium chocolate and waffels I also provided her a little taste of both!

I was quite happy about the final result and even if it’s not a material or useful present I feel like this has more value. In the end, travelling is what made us build our friendship so this is an interest that we share and I think there’s no better feeling than sharing with someone a passion!

3  SET UP A TRAVEL JOURNAL

Again, this was a present I made for one of my dearest friends who last summer did an interrail around Europe. I decorated the front and back cover using old city maps I had and writing travelling quotes, while inside I used old tickets and stickers. I also included a ” How to be a traveller of the world” list (which I found on Pinterest) to fill the first few pages then I left blank pages so that she could insert her travel memories!
To hold the pages together I didn’t use glue but metal rings which can be opened, so that in the future she will be able to add pages and update the book 😉

As you can notice most of the materials used are recycled so the expenses are not high at all, but if you want to have more tips about How To Craft on a Budget I suggest you to check the tips I gave in this post  😉

What about you, have you ever done a travel-themed gift? I would love to hear from you!

• Reply Rachelle Renée

This is such a great gift idea!!

07/06/2016 at 20:31
    • Reply Lisa Tiranti

Thanks Rachelle! 🙂 Sorry for the late reply but I had problems with my laptop 🙁

14/06/2016 at 20:54

Wow, these are such great innovative ideas. I love them! I find that people prefer homemade gifts rather than ones that are bought. Thanks so much for sharing!

07/06/2016 at 21:39
    • Reply Lisa Tiranti

Thank you for reading and commenting! Happy you like them! 🙂 Sorry for the late reply but I had problems with my laptop 🙁

14/06/2016 at 20:54

Oh I completely love this!! Thank you for sharing your travel gifts. I’m a big traveler, and I would love any of them. You got me thinking of what gift I could maybe give myself. Blessings to you, and again, great post!

08/06/2016 at 0:19
    • Reply Lisa Tiranti

Glad to read this Debbie! Thank you for the nice comment! Sorry for the late reply but I had problems with my laptop 🙁

14/06/2016 at 20:52

Super cute ideas! Thanks for sharing 😉

08/06/2016 at 10:54
  • Reply fromdreamtoplan

Thank you for the nice comment! 🙂

08/06/2016 at 10:57
  • Reply Nicky

Handmade journals are the best – they’re so precious. I finally got round to posting about the award you nominated me for – thank you 🙂

09/06/2016 at 7:07
    • Reply Lisa Tiranti

Yes I totally agree!
      Oh great! I’ll check it immediately! 🙂

14/06/2016 at 20:50
  • Reply Liz

Thanks for sharing your new link and for making me do some math (LOL). Have a wonderful weekend!
    Liz

09/06/2016 at 16:53
  • Reply fromdreamtoplan

Thank you for visiting my blog!
    Thank you, you too! 😊

09/06/2016 at 17:14
  • Reply Heidi Smith

What great ideas!

10/06/2016 at 4:48
  • Reply How To Improve Your Art of Making Gifts – fromdreamtoplan

[…] creating stuff so it’s more likely I would choose the second option. For example, I made these for some of my travel lover friends 😉 But, I do know there are people who prefer buying the […]

17/06/2016 at 11:08
  • Reply Audrey

Oh wow! Those are great ideas and so beautiful! You’re very talented!

27/06/2016 at 21:39
  • Reply Minaxi

These ideas are so amazing <3 Thanks for sharing them. And you are such a sweet friend too to take pains to make them. 🙂

28/06/2016 at 22:37
  • Reply Jane Stephens

What lovely ideas! I too am a big believer in handmade presents- I think both the maker/ giver and recipient get so much joy out of the gift! Here is a link to my post featuring an embroidered cushion and travel journal, which I made for my travelling daughter Jenny and her boyfriend Syd before their 6 month van trip up the East coast of Australia: https://candeloblooms.com/2015/11/17/peony-poppy-heaven/. Admittedly, not a handmade card- these commercial ones were too perfect a match! They are now exploring Syd’s home country, Germany.

05/07/2016 at 23:31

Oh wow that was a wonderful idea for your daughter and her boyfriend! (quite jealous about their trip too!! haha) And yes, that card was definitely perfect!
      Thanks for sharing and reading my post! XX

05/07/2016 at 23:59
  • Reply A Thoughtful Handmade Gift Idea – fromdreamtoplan

[…] with you some of the gifts I made which were travel-themed (if you want to check them out click here 😉 ) and I was so glad to read you liked the ideas! […]

22/08/2016 at 22:52