How To Improve Your Art of Making Gifts

Honestly, I LOVE making gifts! From planning what to do, actually making it and then giving it to the person and seeing his/her reaction. But, I know that thinking about a present is not the easiest thing…

Because of this I thought about sharing some of my techniques to buy/prepare the perfect giftΒ πŸ˜‰

1| Β MAKE A LIST OF HIS/HER INTERESTS

If you know the person you want to make the gift to well or if you at least know some of the things they really like doing (such as sports, listening to music, reading…) write them down on a piece of paper.

2| GET INFORMED/ INVESTIGATE

Now, the internet can be really helpful here since if, for example, this friend of yours really likes horse riding but you do not know anything about it, you could google specific words and look for items or info related to it. Of course you could also indirectly ask your friend if they would like something in particular or if they are missing something they really need/like, in this case you would be sure he/she will use it.
While, if you are not sure about asking them well, a little bit of “stalking” could be an idea! If, for example, he/she loves indie music but you do not know any band, looking at his/hers ipod or Spotify music could be a great way to understand which band and singers they like!

3| EXPERIENCE OR MATERIAL OBJECT?

Lately it is very common to give as gift an “experience” such as a day in a wellness centre, a trip, a concert…. I think these are great options, for example in the case where your friend does not need anything in particular or, on the other hand, if you do not really know what to buy.

4| BUY OR MAKE?

I believe the answer to this question is pretty much personal. As I said before I enjoy creating stuff so it’s more likely I would choose the second option. For example, I made these for some of my travel lover friends πŸ˜‰
But, I do know there are people who prefer buying the present and there is nothing wrong with it! As long as you’re happy and you know that the item would be appreciated, then also buying it would be great!

5| ADD A PERSONAL TOUCH

Besides the gift itself, I often add a personal touch, maybe by decorating a photo frame of a picture we took together, with washi tape and stickers or by making an extra inexpensive and little gift such as The Happy Thoughts Jar … anything that is linked to you and this friend of yours could be a great idea πŸ™‚

6| DON’T FORGET ABOUT THE CARD

Maybe I’m old style but I really like seeing that the person who is giving me a present, has dedicated time to write me a card. Reading it is a special moment and I really like the possibility to read them even after a long time! At the same time, I also usually spend time writing and decorating cards, I use it as my opportunity to give my best wishes to that person or to explain why I’ve chosen that present. Okay I know, very complicated…maybe even more than actually making the present πŸ˜„ but my point is: always add a card to your present, it might not be important for you but it might be for the recipient πŸ˜‰

What about you? Do you have any specific techniques you use when making a gift? I’d love to hear from you! πŸ™‚

I am always figuring different ways to make gifts rather than buying them. Lately I have been into watercolors so I usually make prints with a watercolor background and add a hand written quote on it and frame it. People love it!

17/06/2016 at 20:36
    • Reply Fromdreamtoplan

That’s a lovely idea!! Handmade gifts are the best! Thank you for sharing! πŸ™‚

17/06/2016 at 20:38
  • Reply Truly

Hi, there….this is Truly…..I was delighted to see your kind comment and that you’d stumbled upon my blog πŸ™‚ And, what a charming and lovely person you are. For some reason, I couldn’t see where to click like on your posts about you and about what we can expect from your blog, but I loved both. And, this post was also wonderful. I just got home from work, and I am beyond exhausted (haven’t had a good night’s sleep for a couple of nights…nothing wrong, just lots to think about and do beyond the regular stuff, lately). But, I will be back and I am really grateful that we have connected. “See you” soon πŸ™‚

17/06/2016 at 22:34
    • Reply Fromdreamtoplan

Hi Truly! Thank you so much for stopping by and for leaving this kind comment! I’m so sorry to hear about your bad sleep, I hope you’ll manage to rest and have back all your energy! I’m glad we connected to!! Thank you again! 😘

18/06/2016 at 8:12

You have the coolest ideas!! And I LOVE the happy thoughts jar. πŸ™‚ Thank you for posting your loving expression … it’s beautiful.

17/06/2016 at 23:53
    • Reply Fromdreamtoplan

Thank you very much Debbie, you are always so sweet! 😘

18/06/2016 at 8:10
  • Reply aakiee

It is the best check list ever!! I really love your ideas.. !!

18/06/2016 at 1:16
  • Reply Reyna

These are incredible tips! I have the hardest time when it comes to gifts. I’ll definitely look to this post for inspiration! πŸ™‚

18/06/2016 at 4:14
  • Reply Jillian

This is so great! My goal this year has been to give more experiences instead of tangible gifts, but I totally think it should include handmade gifts, too!

18/06/2016 at 19:32
    • Reply Fromdreamtoplan

Ahh I’m glad to hear that! Thanks for reading and leaving this nice comment Jillian! πŸ™‚

18/06/2016 at 20:42
  • Reply Pamela

Great tips. Love that you took your dream to a plan. Keep it up.

19/06/2016 at 20:23
  • Reply Rachelle RenΓ©e

This is that time of year when I start planning Christmas gifts. I start early because there are a lot of handmade items and personal touch that I will put into these projects. The same with cards: some people get a more personalized card and then I’ll buy a batch of cards so that I can personalize them with a handwritten note. I hate buying gift cards, but if I know that’s the best gift I make sure to get an awesome card!

20/06/2016 at 16:39
    • Reply Fromdreamtoplan

I do the same!! Everyone looks at me in a weird way when I say ” I have to start thinking about Christmas presents” but it’s a really long work and in order to have everything ready for that moment I start planning VERY early! Glad to have found another person like me !;) And I’m the same with gift cards too!!

21/06/2016 at 22:03
  • Reply Valerie

I usually do the same thing! I’d rather make a gift but if I don’t have time, I’ll buy it and find a way to personalize it with the gift wrap or card. x

21/06/2016 at 0:42
  • Reply Jo Smith

I like these tips! Very thoughtful

26/06/2016 at 21:55
  • Reply Jane Stephens

Terrific post and great ideas! Thought I would share my post : https://candeloblooms.com/2015/12/01/summers-here/, in which I describe a gift that I made for a girlfriend, complete with a homemade card this time!!! Happy Crafting!

05/07/2016 at 23:36

Thank you Jane!
      I enjoyed reading your post too thanks for linking it! πŸ™‚ Happy crafting to you too XX

05/07/2016 at 23:56
  • Reply Sabrina Bedini

So true!!! When I discovered the smart boxes I was so happy to make a gift like an experience, so exciting and nice!!! πŸ™‚

07/07/2016 at 16:50

Sorry Sabrina, I didn’t see your comment because it was in the “spam” section πŸ™ Anyway, yes they are so cool right?! I also like giving them as gift!

05/08/2016 at 12:54
  • Reply Silvia

Ciao Lisa, eccomi qui! πŸ˜€
    Questo articolo mi Γ¨ piaciuto moltissimo e penso che potrΓ  essermi di aiuto. Amo fare regali, ma spesso mi sento impacciata e finisco per non sapere mai come muovermi… questi consigli sono un tesoro prezioso. Mi Γ¨ anche venuta voglia di fare un regalo a qualcuno ora πŸ™‚
    Baci

13/07/2016 at 9:49

Ciao Silvia! Grazi mille per essere passata e per aver lasciato questo commento! Mi fa molto piacere ti sia stato utile, ho in mente altri articoli simili che spero troverai altrettanto interessanti! πŸ™‚ Grazie ancora πŸ™‚

13/07/2016 at 9:58
  • Reply Onekerntall

This was so helpful! Especially with lots of birthdays coming up πŸ˜‰
    Thank you Lisa!

11/08/2016 at 18:46
  • Reply How To Overcome Your Christmas Gift Panic – fromdreamtoplan

[…] are you more a buyer or a maker? I already discussed about the topic in the post “How to Improve Your Art of Making Gifts” , in the post I also gave some tips about the type of present Β you could do, so if […]

02/12/2016 at 1:09
  • Reply Kelley

This is so cute! I love giving gifts. πŸ™‚

17/08/2017 at 16:29