6 Things You Should Know Before Coming To Italy

I think most of you after reading the title of this post, will think “She is finally writing about her home country!” Β Well, yes I finally am!! πŸ™‚

I have actually planned to write many other posts about Italy but in the meanwhile I wrote this short fun/serious list which I hope will be useful for any of you travelling to Italy πŸ™‚

1| WE HAVE A DARWINIAN WAY OF QUEUING

Unfortunately for the majority of Italian people queuing = hovering around in a crowd with total disregard for the person standing in front of you.

[Suggestion: pay attention and Β remember who arrived first and after you]

2| CUTTING SPAGHETTI IS LIKE SWEARING

Especially if you’re eating with other Italians, please do not cut them or eat them with a spoon…I mean,loads of tourists will do it… but pleeeeease don’t. I’ve found thisΒ cute video which shows how to eat spaghetti with no spoon or knife, it could be useful πŸ˜‰

3| AT THE RESTAURANT, BREAD IS FREE

When you order a meal at the restaurant, bread is always served and you don’t pay for it, you can also ask for more if you’d like πŸ™‚

[Oh and for those wondering about tipping, unless if you’re in a really facy restaurant, it’s not needed πŸ˜‰ ]

4| STREETS SIGNALS ARE CONSIDERED JUST A SUGGESTION

Again unfortunately, crossing the street in Italy is a bit like jumping with a parachute: no fear and go. Especially where no traffic lights are positioned people tend not to respect the rights of way and,Β unless you want to wait for hours hoping that someone will stop and letting you pass, you have to start walking through the street cross so that the cars coming are obliged to stop.

5| 1 PIZZA = 1 PERSON

Now, let’s be clear on this point. Italian people are always shocked when watching foreign TV series and seeing that one pizza is often the dinner of one family. If you order a pizza here, it is implied that it’s just for yourself. If you think that one pizza is too much you can order a smaller one usually named “baby” or if you’re eating with other 2/3 people you can order the “family size” but this option, in general, is available just in some takeaway places.

Oh, talking about pizza there are TWO main kinds of pizza, so it is often convenient to ask the place in which you’re eating if they make both types or just one of the two πŸ™‚
The first one is the “Pizza Napoletana” which is the original version. It’s thick (as the one of Pizza Hut to give you an example) and smaller than the second type “Pizza bassa” or “Pizza fina”. Her the dought of pizza is rolled more in order to make it really thin so, as a consequence, the diameter will be bigger than the first type πŸ˜‰

6| SALADS ARE NAKED

The only things you’ll find to dress your salad are salt, pepper, olive oil and vinegar. Sauces are not even considered when ordering or thinking about a salad. So I guess that compared to the abroad style of dressing salads, ours are “naked” πŸ˜€

While writing this post I actually realised that I have many more tips I could give you about my country soooo #staytuned because I think I will soon post a Part 2!

But in the meanwhile, I am curious to know….

Have you ever been to Italy? Which are the tips you would add to this list? πŸ™‚
Or if you’re an Italian reading this post, would you have any other suggestions? πŸ™‚

• Reply Lulu

Hi Lisa! Thank you for sharing these tips. I have yet to add Italy to my passport, but after reading just these few little insights of yours, I am so excited to bump it way up my bucket list (it was already pretty close to the top). I’m fairly used to what you describe as the “Darwinian way” of queuing and street-signals-as-suggestions, but I really want to see how it’s done “Italian style.” I may live in the Midwest now, but I’m from Boston and lived in New York :). Actually, I was very excited (I am often excited when I read your traveling posts) when I read your thoughts about NYC that you wrote recently. Having grown up just a short drive away and then lived there for a time, I just take the tall buildings and all the hustle and bustle for granted. Yet, when I step off the plane every time I land in Europe, I experience that same sense of total amazement. “It’s real! I can’t believe it!”

05/07/2016 at 16:38

Thank you so much for your lovely comment!! I’m glad you enjoy reading my posts! πŸ™‚
      Ohh yes, I can definitely understand you have the same feeling when you come to Europe!! Let me know whenever you’ll come to Italy, I’m more than happy to give you more suggestions and advice! Thank you again for reading XX
      P.S.
      I’ve hear a lot about Boston and it’s definitely on my list!!

05/07/2016 at 17:25
  • Reply Allison

Love this post! I actually have been to Italy before! I studied abroad there for a few months and it was the most amazing thing ever. You are definitely spot on! One thing I noticed is how fashionable everyone is ALL the time. And when it was like 70 degrees out in March, all the women were still wearing their fancy winter coats. And it surprised me how much American music they listen to! I was expecting Italian music (I guess?) but it was all music that I’d heard in the states!

Can’t wait to see more of your Italy posts! I can’t wait to go back one day πŸ™‚

06/07/2016 at 6:35

Ohh you’re totally right, I also notice the difference: when I’m in England and I hang out I often say ” I would never dress this chilled to go out in Italy” I mean, I like our style here but sometimes it can be too much, you kinda always have to be well-dressed and on bad days this is a bit annoying… but yeah I totally got your feeling! And I agree also about the music, we do have italian songs and singers but the music majorly listened is American and English πŸ˜€ So cool you had the possibility to stay here for a while though, I’m happy you enjoyed!
      Thank you for reading and for leaving this lovely comment Allison! XX

06/07/2016 at 14:07
  • Reply Poppy

Haha, I love this post! I am hoping to be going to Italy next year so I shall keep these tips in mind!

poppyrkay.blogspot.co.uk

06/07/2016 at 15:02
  • Reply mia

Italy is where I want to take do my year of international study at uni, so this was a really helpful post to read. I just found your blog, but I may have to do a bit of a blog stalk because it’s really good!

06/07/2016 at 21:40

Oh thank you very much for your nice words, means a lot to me!!
      I’m glad the post was useful and do not hesitate to ask me any questions about Italy if you need help! Thank you again for stopping by! πŸ™‚

06/07/2016 at 23:19
  • Reply Carola

Hey Lisa!! Im so glad i came here!!!!! First of all i adooooore Italy, is one of the most charming countries in the world, people is so kind plus your food is just the best!!! I loved your idea for the blog and you seem to be such a wonderful person!!! I share some of the same passions as you and traveling is definitely one of them… but i so you have never come to Mexico (i live here) now you should plan your next adventure here!!! I would be really glad to meet you πŸ’›

07/07/2016 at 18:19

Thank you for your kind comment Carola! I’m so happy you like my country and my blog!
      No I’ve never been to Mexico but I’d love to!! I’ve hear so many beautiful things about it and sooo beautiful pictures!! I definitely have to come!
      Glad we connected! Thanks again for stopping by XX

07/07/2016 at 22:12
  • Reply Dakota D.

Such a fun post! I especially love what you said about pasta LOL.

❀︎
    Dakota D.
    Instagram/Snapchat: @missdsquared413

08/07/2016 at 2:44

That was an interesting read and some made me laugh πŸ™‚ It really reminds me of my frequent beautiful trips to Italy! I really love their food although it’s always too much, haha!

08/07/2016 at 12:42

Thank you very much for reading Julia! πŸ™‚ Glad you enjoyed!
      hahaha yes our portions are often quite big!

08/07/2016 at 12:45
  • Reply Angie

Nice tips. Thanks for sharing! πŸ™‚
    I’ve only been to Rome and Venice, but we are planning on heading back for our 10th wedding anniversary to visit all the places we want to see. Pretty much a tour of Italy, minus Rome and Venice.

08/07/2016 at 23:09
    • Reply fromdreamtoplan

That would be so nice!! I’m sure it’s a great way for celebrating this special event πŸ™‚
      Thanks for reading and commenting Angie πŸ™‚

11/07/2016 at 21:15
  • Reply Tiffany

The cultural differences are amazing, I look forward to more posts of your home country pretty please!! P.S I can’t find where the follow button for wordpress is on your blog πŸ™

09/07/2016 at 12:23

Thank you for the tips! These will come in handy when I go to Italy at some point!

10/07/2016 at 19:37
  • Reply Mil

I studied abroad in Rome and these ring SO very true…especially #1 and #4. Love it πŸ™‚

xo Mil

11/07/2016 at 5:18
  • Reply Águeda

Now it is official: ITALY IS HEAVEN ON EARTH!

12/07/2016 at 5:02

hahaha well thank you but I believe there are many little pieces of heaven on earth! πŸ˜€

12/07/2016 at 14:13
  • Reply Natalie Charlton

I plan to travel Italy for a month next year with my boyfriend. I will be sure to read up on your blogs and drop you a message as we are planning the trip. This post is great though πŸ™‚

12/07/2016 at 12:43
  • Reply Miriam

This was great advice! Thank you so much for sharing. I think I would have been one of those people stuck waiting for a car to stop so that I could cross the street πŸ˜‚.

12/07/2016 at 13:08
  • Reply Jennifer Juneau

These are awesome tips Lisa! If I come to Italy I would love to meet you too!! πŸ™‚ I love the idea of one pizza = one person πŸ˜‰

15/07/2016 at 12:58

Thank you Jennifer! Oh it would be a pleasure meeting you, do not hesitate to contact me! If I’m in Italy too I’ll bring you to taste the best pizza ever πŸ™‚

15/07/2016 at 19:10
  • Reply Michelle | michwanderlust

Great post, Lisa! I love Italian food. I’ve never been able to twirl spaghetti with a fork successfully though – if I manage to pick anything up at all it always comes up in one huge mound… I really don’t know how people do it! Practice makes perfect, I guess! I’m much better with chopsticks… haha.

19/07/2016 at 1:31

Thanks Michelle! Hahaha yes I have to admit that it’s not that easy but yes practice will help! πŸ˜€
      Thank you for reading and commenting 😘

19/07/2016 at 9:19
  • Reply Other 6 Things You Should Know Before Coming To Italy – fromdreamtoplan

[…] seeing the great positive feedback (by the way, Thank you very much!!) of my first post about the Things You Should Know Before Coming To Italy and after other points come into […]

08/08/2016 at 22:51
  • Reply Karina

I loved Italy. My family and I sent there a few years ago and visited many places, including Venice, the Vatican City, a small town in the Tuscan area, Florence, among others. Loved it! Thanks also for your visit and liking some posts.

11/08/2016 at 2:59
  • Reply Olivia

Haha I love this! Definitely useful to know but fun too – it’s always hard trying to blend in as a tourist! I love Italy but haven’t been for years, it’s definitely high up on my travel list at the moment though!!

18/08/2016 at 11:56

I’m glad you enjoyed the post Olivia! Thank you for leaving this lovely comment and I hope you’ll manage to come back soon! πŸ™‚

18/08/2016 at 14:57
  • Reply What (NOT) To Do In Verona – fromdreamtoplan

[…] If you’re coming to Italy for any reason you might be interested to read the 6 things you should know before coming here and also this other 6 things! […]

19/08/2016 at 1:24
  • Reply Charlotte

This post made me hungry πŸ˜› I cannot wait for thin authentic pizza and delicious bread! X

13/10/2016 at 12:13
  • Reply 6 Things You Should Know Before Coming to Italy – Christmas Edition – fromdreamtoplan

[…] You Should Know Before Coming to Italy” posts (if you haven’t check them out yet click here & here πŸ˜‰ ) and since it seemed you’ve enjoyed them quite a lot I thought about writing […]

23/12/2016 at 22:49