Losing & Finding Motivation

I believe that through my writings most of you understood that I quite like motivating and supporting people. Surrounding myself with people who are positive and happy makes me feel the same, and I think vice versa. Many friends of mine, as well as people who are meeting me for the first time often ask me “where do you find all this energy and motivation?” Well, as I told you later in this post I believe there are people who are “naturally” more positive than others, and I consider myself lucky to be one of those people. The truth is… this positive energy is not always there.

I have already revealed to you, in this post, that one of my secrets about how I take courage in a scary situation, is to just go for it! I often use the same technique to motivate myself doing something I’m not really sure that I am capable of doing.

What if you have totally lost your motivation and you have to re-start from zero?

Maybe some of you, who never found yourself in this situation, will be thinking “how is this possible?” Well, it is. Maybe due to an important event or an unsuspected occurrence, it might happen.

I’ll give you my personal issue as an example: as I told you before (here  😉 ) , until a couple of years ago I was really into singing, I went to music school 2/3 times per week, had a band, attended many singing competitions and  festivals. Then high school ended and it was finally time to make my life-dream come true: moving and studying abroad. I won’t annoy you again with all my thoughts and feelings related to that period, it’s not what my point is right not (but if you’re curious to know I explained everything in this post). The aspect I want to focus now is that by making that decision I knew that the singing part of my life would have been moved to the background, since the choice I took was to focus on my uni studies for this 3 years and do my bachelor degree. “But why didn’t you continue singing?” many of you would ask. Well, I do, in my room or when I come back home in Italy, but due to the program I’ve chosen, where I change countries every 9 months, it’s not easy to actually build something like a band or duo, it takes a lot of time.

After this long digression, it is necessary for me to explain the situation. What I find myself facing right now is the feeling that my voice is not the same, less powerful and precise, and missing the control I once had. Of course our voice and vocal chords, as many other parts of our bodies, are muscles, and if not trained can’t give the same results as before. This is exactly my case: I passed from training my voice daily to practically not using it at all. I definitely can’t pretend to have my (what I call) “real voice” back after one day, but yes…it sucks… especially feeling that all your past work is not there anymore.

So what to do?

First, look at the reason why.

The reason why I had this regression on my voice is that I focused on other aspects of my life and am I happy about those. Yes, totally, I do not regret taking this decision.

Secondly, is it an irreparable thing that I am unhappy about?

No, it’s about training and taking it slowly. I’m sure doing a schedule with exercises would definitely help, and like everything in life, when you start improving you get more motivated to continue.

Finally, would this help me feeling better and regain self-confidence?

Yes, indeed! Not that I pretend to have the lifestyle I had before, but just by re-gaining the voice agility that I had would definitely make me more confident.

So, what are you waiting for?

Okay, I have to admit that I felt quite stupid writing the questions and answers myself, but I just thought that someone else out there, maybe the person reading this, or maybe the friend/son/aunt of the person reading this, is feeling the same as I am. It could help knowing that you’re not alone, and that maybe the beauty of not being motivated anymore is actually finding a new way to be motivated again.

What about you, did you ever find yourself in this situation? Which have been your techniques to get back on track and feeling self confident again? I would love to hear from you!

Pinterest | Facebook | Instagram | Youtube | Bloglovin

Thank you so much, Lisa. This post is very thoughtful, and I love hearing about your journey. Sending you blessings of Light for your next steps with motivation, you voice, and Uni.

I’ve moved to NY for the time being and left a safe community in LA. I’m learning so much, and there are times I don’t feel motivated. I’m open to Spirit showing me ways to connect to my enthusiasm and love this approach! Thank you again, Lisa. Blessings ☺

12/08/2016 at 3:40

Thank you for your Kind words as always Debbie! ❤️ I wish you the best for this new start in NY but I’m sure that as soon as people will see all the good that is in you, you’ll be able to create new relations and a new community! Have a lovely weekend 🙂

12/08/2016 at 13:48
  • Reply Angie

I think everyone goes through a period of losing motivation after working on something (or not) for a while. It’s natural, but it’s what we do to make the change on moving forward is important. This in turn will provide us motivation to continue or finish whatever it is we’re working on or towards.

For me, I’ve been at it with my writing off and on for the last 10 years. I thought that after giving up my career it would be easier but with traveling all the time and so many distractions, it’s not. I find it’s harder to find motivation, and I have rough times and good times. I lose motivation sometimes but to push through it, I think about how far I’ve come and all of my sacrifices and why I’m doing it, then I get back into it and find my reason and passion for it again. It’s a constant struggle, but I know I’ll finish and publish my novel some day. It just takes a lot of time, and I have to acknowledge that and be patient as well.

12/08/2016 at 9:52

I totally agree with your words Angie and thank you for sharing your experience. I can understand your being distracted by other stuff besides your writing, I can related, but I think it’s good we find a balance and as you said, be patient. Thank you for commenting! 🙂

12/08/2016 at 13:45
  • Reply Serena

Hi Lisa! Your post is very interesting and thoughtful! I agree with you and I think we should always try to find a new reason to fight when we lose motivation! Losing motivation can always happen, but I will never give up my secret dreams, maybe it’s too late to change my career, but I keep them as a hobby and I know I’m building something special as well!

12/08/2016 at 11:47

Thank you very much Serena for stopping by and taking the time to leave this comment! I’m happy you could relate and who knows, maybe one day your passions can really become your job! But for the meantime I think you’re definitely doing the right thing: enjoying what you like most! 🙂

12/08/2016 at 13:42
  • Reply Jennifer

What a thoughtful post! I too am one of those people who is luck enough to be a positive thinker. I’m in my 40’s and over the years I’ve found that when I let myself go “to the dark side” 😜 it doesn’t do me any good. Me or my family or anyone around me for that matter. I’ve learned that I can be sad, mad, or whatever at the moment but once I let it go and move on, everyone is happier and things naturally progress for the better. To dwell on it is okay. You learn from it and that’s ok. But, if you let it consume you it doesn’t do any good.. I’m a former music major (piano and voice) and taught music for years, but burned out and went to a different teaching position. Now I can keep enjoying music and art without doing it 24/7 and I’m happier. Best of luck to you and so nice to have met you 😊

12/08/2016 at 15:10

Thank you so much Jennifer for this comment!! I’m so glad to have found someone like me, I can totally relate with all your words! Great to hear that you’re also a music lover, so cool you were teaching it but I’m happy to read you’re doing something that fits you more 🙂 Thanks again for stopping by! Glad we connected 🙂

12/08/2016 at 21:09
  • Reply Tash

Really loved this! Now I’m still in my summer holidays before starting school again in September, I don’t really have much motivation as I’ve had almost three months off! I’m looking forward to getting a bit more motivated and energetic now after this post! -Tash xx
    thoughtfultash.wordpress.com

13/08/2016 at 21:44

I’m so glad to read it was a useful read! Thank you for commenting and all the best with your new goals! 🙂

13/08/2016 at 22:01
  • Reply Dajana Erd

Such an amazing post! Love it!
    I also love your blog 😉

14/08/2016 at 1:40
  • Reply Pamela

Great post. I really enjoyed it. I loved your prior post too. So much I emailed it to all my friends who are planning trips to Italy.

14/08/2016 at 19:56
  • Reply Dumebi

This is an amazing post Lisa
    Only a few people tend to feel the positive vibe and using that to motivate others is very beautiful.
    This is a really insightful and thoughtful post!

20/08/2016 at 14:12

Thank you so much for reading and leaving this lovely comment! I’ glad you liked it 🙂

20/08/2016 at 14:15
  • Reply Lauren

Thank you for this post. It is quite easy to loose motivation but finding it back is always the best part of your journey. I can definitely relate.

20/08/2016 at 21:26
  • Reply Imogen Clegg

I relate to this post so much! I have always been a singer since I was a baby, and I spent so much time through school in the choir,having singing lessons and performing at concerts, and once I hit 18 i lost my confidence and I have only just got it back now!

05/09/2016 at 15:20

So glad to hear you could relate and so cool that you’re a singer too! Good to hear you got back to it! Thank you for reading and stopping by! 🙂

05/09/2016 at 19:47
  • Reply Jocelyn Figueroa

Just wanted to say…
    fantastic post, superbly written.
    thanks for writing 🙂

12/10/2016 at 19:21
  • Reply How to Organise Your New Year Goals as a Pro – fromdreamtoplan

[…] If you’re reading my blogs since a while now I think you’ll know that I’m definitely a goal person. And if you didn’t yes, I’m one of those people who writes down it’s goals, list, thing to do, whatever “organisational” thing you can write down, I do it. I see it as a way to being more motivated and focused, especially in those moments where motivation lacks. […]

28/12/2016 at 22:59
  • Reply The Value of Pursuing a Passion – fromdreamtoplan

[…] have super stressful and busy moments where, maybe because of tiredness or too much work we  also lack of motivation? Well I believe that in these cases finding time for yourself and doing what you like the most is […]

18/01/2017 at 11:09