Pros and Cons About Going On A Cruise

As you all know by now (if not, check out this post ๐Ÿ˜‰ ) I’m just back from a wonderful 10 days cruise. Saying that my mind is still there is too little, my whole soul is still there! But well, vacation doesn’t last forever and routine was awaiting. Luckily I can still live those moments through my memories and by sharing them with you through my posts.

By reading the title you can understand that, this first post won’t involve a particular destination I’ve been to. Indeed, due also to the fact that many people asked me about this topic, I’m going to share with you my thoughts about cruising and trying this particular way of travelling. As I told you here, this wasn’t the first cruise for me but still, this one has been quite different form the past one since when I went on my first cruise I was younger and participated to different kind of activities compared to this year.

So here you go with all the good and bad you have to know about cruising:

YOU GET TO VISIT MORE PLACE AT ONCE

It’s crazy thinking about it but in 10 days I visited 4 countries and 8 cities! For sure having the possibility to visit more than one place at once it’s an advantage, especially if the places and not easily reachable (for instance Italy-Morocco).

…BUT YOU JUST HAVE AN OVERVIEW

Yes, this is the negative side. Due to the fact that, the ship takes time to get from one place to another and as said before, the places are quite many. You have a limited amount of time to visit each city. I have to admit though, that the time is also in relation to how big the city is, for example we stayed in Lisbon 9 hours while in Cadiz, a little but beautiful Canary island, we just stayed 4. ย Of course if you want to properly visit and have a “real taste” of the country/city you are you should stay there more but with this type of travelling you just have the chance to get a taste of it.

NO WORRIES, EVERYTHING IS ORGANISED

The ship organisation is totally created in order to not make you worry about anything. There are loads of activities you can take part to, shows and entertainments. Even trips are perfectly plan and you usually have more than once choice, so that you can decide the trip/tour which fits better with your travelling style and interests.

…BUT EVERYTHING HAS A PRICE

If on one hand the organisation is definitely on point, on the other hand, prices are crazy. Of course the cruise company has to get a commission over everything and they take advantage of the fact that people are in “vacation mode” so they will accept to pay a little more if they don’t have to think about it. But, most of the times tour prices are over the average. Indeed, in some places like Lisbon or Alicante I didn’t book any tour through them and just visited by myself and sometimes took the sight seeing bus around the city. In other cases, for example my amazing day trip to Marrakesh, I booked a tour because all the day was planned: transportation, guides, restaurants, fee entrance in some of the attractions. Plus, I was by myself so, despite I discovered that Morocco is absolutely a wonderful and friendly country, I didn’t really feel like going around alone.

YOU’LL NEVER GET BORED

As ย stated before, on the ship is full of stuff to to, from organised activities to sports or any other kind of entertainment. It’s practical like a little travelling city, there’s everything: sport centre, SPA, restaurants with loads of food, disco’s, casino..there’s even a little chapel. Of course, this can’t prevent you to not have your solo time and for example enjoying a great book while tanning in the solarium area (oh how I miss those moments!!) ๐Ÿ™‚

…BUT, YOU ARE ALWAYS ON A BOAT

Honestly, I didn’t have that feeling of “being stuck on a ship”, because, I repeat, there are so many things to do that you don’t really realise it. Plus, you have the possibility to get off to visit the cities nearly every day, except if it’s navigation day, so it wasn’t a heavy feeling for me. But I do understand that there are people who could suffer for it so another type of travelling style would fit better for them or maybe just trying first a shorter cruise, like for 5 or 7 days ๐Ÿ˜‰

I hope this little overview about going on a cruise was helpful for all those who are considering to try this type of vacation or anyone who is willing to know more about it ๐Ÿ™‚ Please do not hesitate to ask any questions about it in the comments below, I would be more than welcome to answer! ๐Ÿ™‚

P.S.
Of course I took picture of the cruise and the life on boat but this happened and unfortunately I can’t share them with you ๐Ÿ™

What about you? Have you ever been on a cruise? What were your impressions about it? I’d love to hear about your experience!ย

Pinterest | Facebook | Instagram | Youtubeย | Bloglovin

Thank you for your honest review! I’ve never been on a cruise and I’m not sure whether I like that kind of travelling or not. But now I feel more confident to give it a try one day! As you mentioned, it might be a great way to get an overview of different places. Then I could decide if I want to visit again or not ๐Ÿ™‚

01/10/2016 at 10:29
  • Reply Angela Bless Friis Cassรธe

I’ve never been on a cruise but have tried travelling by sea for more than 24 hours and it felt like forever.

01/10/2016 at 15:21

Ohh I’m sorry for you! But cruise ships are very different from others because they’re full of entertainments ๐Ÿ™‚ I also travelled by sea for other reasons and I felt the same as you, so boring!

01/10/2016 at 16:25

Yea I’ve always been hesitant about cruises because I would feel stuck but it seems like you had a good time! Maybe I will give it a go one day! ๐Ÿ™‚

01/10/2016 at 17:55

Yes I also thought the same before my first cruise! Glad the post was useful ๐Ÿ™‚ Thank you for reading Tay ๐Ÿ™‚

01/10/2016 at 20:17
  • Reply giusy

Le crociere non sono il modello di vacanze che preferisco per il fatto che il tempo per la visita alle varie cittร  รจ sempre molto limitato e il viaggio รจ sempre molto strutturato, ma la vacanze sono sempre troppo belle e quindi non disdegnerei di fare una bella crociera di 10 giorni anch’io! ๐Ÿ˜‰ Buona domenica

01/10/2016 at 22:35

Concordo con te Giusy! Grazie per aver letto il post e per il commento! Buona Domenica anche a te ๐Ÿ™‚

02/10/2016 at 13:46
  • Reply Johanna Rosberg

I’m going on my first cruise in March! It’s one in the Pacific ocean, where it takes two full days out at sea before we reach our first destination. I have been feeling a bit nervous about it, but I think your post has calmed me down! As long as there’s plenty of things to do, I’m sure it’ll be enjoyable! ๐Ÿ™‚ btw, how did you feel about sea sickness?

02/10/2016 at 1:05
  • Reply Angie

I’m not big on cruises, but I do like taking it for places I don’t mind seeing and stopping in and not exploring a whole lot. The only cruise I intend to take is for Alaska and one of the organized (smaller) cruise around Europe. I don’t think it’s bad if you’re okay with it.

02/10/2016 at 11:43

Oh I’d love to go on the Alaska one too! And also the cruise around Europe sounds like a good plan! ๐Ÿ˜‰

02/10/2016 at 13:53
  • Reply Serena - Sognandoviaggi

Non sono mai stata in crociera, ma devo dire che i pro e i contro che avevo in mente (soprattutto sentendo i racconti dei miei suoceri, che ne hanno fatto diverse) sono esattamente quelli che hai descritto nel tuo post! A frenarmi finora รจ stato il fatto di avere poco tempo per vedere le varie localitร  toccate, forse perchรฉ essendo abituata ad essere molto libera negli spostamenti e nei percorsi mi sentirei un po’ legata,,,Perรฒ, mai dire mai nella vita, magari un giorno proverรฒ e ti dirรฒ cosa ne penso! ๐Ÿ˜‰

02/10/2016 at 13:10

Ciao Serena! Grazie per aver letto il post! Sรฌ, sicuramente il fatto che non hai modo di visitare completamente le localitร  รจ una pecca perรฒ esatto, mai dire mai, magari un giorno ti capiterร  l’opportunitร  di andare in una crociera che si ferma in luoghi in cui desideri andare ma non hai mai avuto modo ๐Ÿ˜‰ Grazie per il commento, buona Domenica! ๐Ÿ™‚

02/10/2016 at 13:58
  • Reply Rosie

Look forward to reading more about your trip – a cruise is never something I’ve considered (mostly as I’m one of those people plagued by sea-sickness that doesn’t go away with tablets!) but I’m fascinated to read about what you got up to! I’ve nominated you for the Sunshine Blogger Award as I love the diversity of your blog (I need to explore your archives more!)

02/10/2016 at 13:40

Too bad for your sea sickness, I bet it’s very annoying and wouldn’t let you enjoy the trip!
      Ohh thank you so much Rosie, I’m so glad you like my blog and thank you for nominating me! Will definitely check it out! ๐Ÿ™‚

02/10/2016 at 13:55
  • Reply Emily

This was quite fun to read, as I worked on a cruise ship for 7 months (I’ll write a blog about it one day). You can get some cruises where the tours are included (mine did this) but they are rare. Normally they are the smaller companies – it means you have fewer things to see or do on the ship, but it could make the price of your holiday go down!

02/10/2016 at 16:21

wow really?! I have always been fascinated to hear the experience of a person working on a cruise, I mean, I believe it a tough job both for the location and for the many things to do! Oh yes right, not having organised would make everything cheaper and probably more affordable ๐Ÿ™‚ Thank you for reading and commenting Emily! Looking forward to reading your post about your experience! ๐Ÿ™‚

02/10/2016 at 16:52
  • Reply Pooja @lostinprettyeurope

Very interesting post, Lisa! I think I would like this way of traveling, having never tried it before. Did you have swimming/snorkeling stops often? ๐Ÿ˜€ Morocco sounds so cool and exotic, out of all those places you visited! Can’t wait to read more about your tour:) I also recently did a motorcycle tour of about 12 days around South Eastern Europe and had just 1 or 2 days to explore the destinations, but I very much enjoyed the journey as well!

02/10/2016 at 18:33

Thank you Pooja! I’m glad you liked the post! I actually went swimming just in Alicante, the beach was amazing, in the other places I mostly visited and went around the city ๐Ÿ™‚ I loved Morocco and can’t wait to talk about it more! Yess I saw your amazing posts about it, sounded like a beautiful trip! I’m sure this type of travelling would fit you too! ๐Ÿ™‚

02/10/2016 at 19:48
  • Reply Mile

Never been on a cruise but we are thinking about. Just to visit fjords. I think is the best way to see them. I’ll let you know in case ๐Ÿ˜‰

03/10/2016 at 17:39

Going for a fjord cruise has always been my dream!! Let me know if you go, I’d be happy to hear your story! ๐Ÿ™‚

03/10/2016 at 21:59
  • Reply Lindsey Mozgai

I love taking cruises, in fact my fiance and I go on one every year :). With some careful planning, it can be one of the best vacations you’ll ever take.

03/10/2016 at 22:21
  • Reply Valerie

Thanks for these tips! My friends and I are thinking about going on a cruise in January and this was very helpful. x

03/10/2016 at 23:56
  • Reply Jennifer

These are some great tips. Have never been on a cruise!

04/10/2016 at 4:52
  • Reply Roberta

I’ve never been on a cruise before, but it sounds cool. I mean, you visit lots of different places in just a few days. However, as you say, you only have an overview. That might be my only problem, as I love exploring every corner of the place I’m visiting. ๐Ÿ™‚

04/10/2016 at 18:39

I’m just like you! That’s why I wouldn’t go an a cruise so often but I think once in a while is a good way of combining a relaxing vacation and exploring new place ๐Ÿ˜‰ Thank you for reading and commenting Roberta! ๐Ÿ™‚

04/10/2016 at 21:01
  • Reply Nano @ #TravelWithNanoB

I’m a huge fan of cruising (have done it three times already), it seems like such an effortless way to travel. I love that you don’t have to worry about accommodation or food, everything is provided and usually very tasty. Entertainment on board is also a great bonus – although one should make sure to book a big ship as they tend to have more things on offer. I agree that tours offered by the cruise itself is VERY expensive. That’s why I make sure to research local tour companies in advance and book activities through them. Usually it is cheaper and honestly much better than what you’d get out of a cruise’s tour. xoxo, nano | http://www.travelwithnanob.com

05/10/2016 at 2:58

Ahh happy to hear there are other cruise fans! And that’s a great solution to find tours yourself, I’m sure it’s way cheaper and you can also manage to see more typical stuff! Thank you for reading and commenting Nano! ๐Ÿ™‚

05/10/2016 at 15:56
  • Reply How Not To Spend An Ordinary Day In Venice – fromdreamtoplan

[…] amazing places I’ve seen during my cruise-vacation(if you want to know more about it, click here ๐Ÿ˜‰ ) I’ll share with you one of my favourite trips I’ve made during my Italian summer […]

10/10/2016 at 22:25
  • Reply Top 4 Things To Do When Visiting Marseille – fromdreamtoplan

[…] If you want to read about my cruising experience in general I wrote this “Pros and Cons about going on a cruise” which might be helpful […]

17/10/2016 at 23:11
  • Reply 5 Things Morocco Taught Me – fromdreamtoplan

[…] second stop (if you want to check the first one click here ๐Ÿ˜‰ ) of the amazing cruise I did a bit more than a month ago, was…Morocco! We did more than one stop in this wonderful […]

27/10/2016 at 23:37