3 Tricks To Keep Crafting While Traveling

Combining more passions is not easy, especially when one of these is traveling. To me, travelling means not staying in the same place for a long period and not being able to bring with me much stuff especially when it comes to “extra” ITEMS not necessary for daily needs. BUT for sure I couldn’t be stopped by these factors and not craft anymore, I mean, I need to craft in my life!!

Of course I had to deal with some compromises and accept the fact that I couldn’t have with me ALL my crafting stuff that I do have at home, but I still manage to create so this is the important thing!

I think many crafters and diy lovers could find this problem too so I thought it could be useful to share my techniques to keep crafting while traveling:

1 | HAVE A MINI-KIT

As said before, due to luggage weight issues (damn you airlines company!) I can’t bring with me all my crafting equipment so I’ve putten together some elements which I consider “basic and necessary” which do not occupy much space and weight and  I can always bring with me. In particular my mini kit is composed by:

–Alphabet Stamp Set + Ink
                     I use these very often, to write in my agenda, cards, scrapbooks….anywhere!

kit1

–Some of my favourite Washi Tapes
                    I know you can find washi tapes in many stores but some of the ones I have I literally love them and bring them always with me. Also because again, washi tapes are multi-use and can be useful in many ways!

kit3.jpg

–Some of my favourite Pens & Pencils
                     When talking about pens and pencils I’m quite picky, for example to write in my agenda I have specific ones which I use just for that so bringing them with me is a must! Plus, I often always have a permanent pen, a ruler and some coloured pens.

kit2.jpg

–Different types of patterned paper
                      I love using patterned paper and again, I know that nowadays you can find it in practically every stationary stores but, as said before, I like having with me some of my favourite ones!
[In order to not to ruin them I always position them at the very back of my luggage]

kit4.jpg

2| DO A LITTLE RESEARCH ABOUT CONVENIENCE/ STATIONERY STORES IN THE AREA

There are other elements which I consider “basic” such as glue, tape, scissors, coloured paper… but if I would bring with me this stuff my luggage would definitely be overweight! Moreover, those are items that you can often easily find at the supermarket or convenience stores for example, so you don’t have to carry them with you all the time!

Another useful thing to do is to to a little research about stationery stores in the country you’re visiting, it could be that you’re favourite online shop has a physical shop where you’re going for example, wouldn’t that be great?? Or, at the same time, they could have shops with unique items which would be awesome to bring home and  have for your future projects 😉

3| KEEP FUTURE PRECIOUS MATERIAL

The previous two points were mainly about stationary stuff that you should buy and this could sound really expensive but believe me it is absolutely possible to craft on a budget. I wrote a specific post on my blog (click here to read it 😉 ) but the main trick is to Keep anything that could have a second life, a nice box for example could become a perfect stationary container or your tickets and maps used while travelling could be used as decorations and background of your scrapbook! One of my favourite items to keep are bills from the restaurants/coffee shops that I went to and really like, so that, if I ever would go back to that place I would already know where to go!

What about you? Do you have any special items that you always bring with you for crafting or do you buy everything new? I’d love to here form you! 🙂

Don’t want to lose this post? Pin it! 😉

crafting-while-travelling

Pinterest | Facebook | Instagram | Youtube | Bloglovin

Lisa, this is cool! I love the idea of a mini craft kit, what an extra creative thing to do when traveling. Thanks for the suggestion. Your blog is awesome. I hope you are doing great 💜

07/11/2016 at 23:18
  • Reply Audrey

Oh!! This is such a great post! Travelling is no reason to stop being creative 🙂

08/11/2016 at 0:52
  • Reply Chloe

Thanks for sharing, it’s a great post! Definitely comes in the right time to remind me on what I should pack ( i personally prefer packing light) for my upcoming travel:)

08/11/2016 at 2:14
  • Reply Ivy

What a good idea! Haha I wish I traveled more…but when I will, what good tips! I will definitely use them. I kind of feel like an old cat lady saying this but I LOVE crafting! And your posts 🙂 Keep it up!!
    xx,
    Ivy

08/11/2016 at 2:37

Oh thank you!! 🙂 Hahaha noo you don’t sound like an old cat lady at all, otherwise in case I’d be one as well!! 😀 So happy to read you like my posts, thanks for reading 🙂

08/11/2016 at 10:36
  • Reply Jenny

Love this – I also take my ‘craft’ with me – it is such a great hobby to have on the road. My kit consists of a pencil role, water colour paper, a drawing journal and some sticky tape and scissors. It’s great to be able to make birthday or thank you cards for people along the way, and for recording your adventures! Thanks for sharing your tricks 🙂

08/11/2016 at 11:59

Yess exactly you’ve got my point! Oh your kit sounds perfect as well! Thanks for reading and commenting Jenny! 🙂

08/11/2016 at 12:43
  • Reply Diya

I completely agree that traveling doesn’t mean you have to give up on other hobbies. Reading, for example, is a wonderful hobby to balance with traveling. I love picking up books at every destination I visit. I can either give them away when I’m done or keep them as a wonderful souvenir of my time at that destination. I’d also like to get people I meet on my travels to write some dedications within the pages. That would make it even more special 🙂

I also love taking a cross stitch piece along with me. This particular piece has special significance because it is related to two great loves of my life. You can read more about it here if you’re interested:

08/11/2016 at 12:01

Oh yes reading as a wonderful hobby as well! And I’ve never actually thought about it as a “souvenir” but that’s a great idea! Thank you for reading and sharing your experience Diya, I’ll check the link for sure! 🙂

08/11/2016 at 12:44

I actually never thought about crafting while traveling but why not? I think it’s great that you’ve found a way to combine both hobbies! Especially when christmas is coming up, there are always tons of DIY ideas 🙂

10/11/2016 at 11:53

Yes exactly Christams is my most “crafty” period” haha 🙂 Thank for reading and commenting Julia! 🙂

11/11/2016 at 13:02
  • Reply Vilma

Good tips!

10/11/2016 at 20:43
  • Reply Ashley

Lisa! This is fantastic. I love your creativity and vision. 🙂

23/11/2016 at 17:39
  • Reply Dejah

Traveling and crafting are my two greatest passions. I always bring a ball of yarn and a crochet needle wherever I go.

22/06/2017 at 19:11