The Value of Pursuing a Passion

If you’re not a first-time reader of my blog, you’ll know by know that yes, I am a person with quite a lot of interests and passions. [If you are a new reader well, hello and welcome! You can know a little more about me here πŸ™‚ ]

I have encountered many people who are convinced that having a hobby or diverse interests could not be good, “in the end, they are all distractions to more important stuff” they say, or on the other hand, there are people who do not really have a hobby and because of this they don’t really Β understand how it feels having one. Last but not least, one of my uni teachers who conducted a survey to prove that people who are involved in extra-curricular activities have lower grades than people who are totally focused into uni.

Well, as my mother always thought me “The world is beautiful because it’s diverse.”

But you, you who you’re reading this and you can relate to this words or you are actually one of the people mentioned above, please consider reading this little list of points I wrote down about why having a passion can be a great advantage for yourself:

1. By having other interests besides your job/study you can actually develop different skills that you’ll find useful applying in other fields as well. For example, by overcoming my stage fright when singing (if you want to know about it click here πŸ˜‰ ) I now have no problems during presentations I often have to do at uni, both if it is just in front of my teacher or a bigger audience.
  2. Your hobby/passion can be a great tool to connect with new people who might be inspiring and at the same time advantageous to discover new things. An example can be blogging, when I started blogging I would have never thought that the bloggers’ community would have been so big and such a support. I am so grateful to be part of this world and to connected (and some of them met as well) with amazing people all with different backgrounds but united by same ways of thinking!
  3. It’s a great way of de-stressing and getting new motivation! How many of us have super stressful and busy moments where maybe because of tiredness or too much work we Β also lack of motivation? Well, I believe that in these cases finding time for yourself and doing what you like the most is the best cure! For me is singing or travelling, when I sing I totally disconnect from what’s going on in my life and I just concentrate on enjoying the moment. Same with travelling, even by just exploring a new neighbourhood of London, helps me free my mind for a while and the curiosity of seeking something new prevails on everything else.

What about you? Which are your passions and do you think they have secondary benefits as well? I’d love to hear from you!Β

YES Lisa, I agree! My passion is forgivingconnects … this blog, videos that I do, and maybe writing a book and doing workshops. And also gardening. And running. πŸ™‚

I’m looking a lot about what I want to create for 2017, and your post is helpful. You are so creative and enthusiastic, thanks.

I’m off to a spiritual retreat for a week. Take good care of yourself,
    Debbie

13/12/2016 at 0:35

Totally agree with you Lisa! I love traveling which has benefited me in that I’ve had so many opportunities to meet new people who I have made long lasting friendships with! Thanks for sharing these points!

13/12/2016 at 4:28

Yess exactly, travelling is so great from so many point of views! Thanks for reading Tay! πŸ™‚

13/12/2016 at 19:28
  • Reply Arielle

Damn, what kind of psycho professor thinks people shouldn’t have passions outside of school? I didn’t end up getting a job based on what I studied in uni; my extracurriculars got me the skills I needed for my job! Plus what kind of capitalist nightmare is it to be someone who just works works works with nothing else going on in their life?

13/12/2016 at 12:15

Yes exaclty!! That’s what I think as well! I couldn’t stand living like that at all!

13/12/2016 at 19:29

What you’ve listed here is SO accurate! That’s the amazing thing about blogging, you can actually combine all of your passion into one place, and in the end blogging becomes a passion too! Amazing post! x

13/12/2016 at 19:47
  • Reply Charlotte

Such a good post and important topic to discuss. This is a great reminder for those who get too busy to do something they love! It’s good for the soul! x

14/12/2016 at 16:33
  • Reply Vicki @ Babies to Bookworms

I agree! ONe of my passions has always been children’s books. When the were no teaching jobs available, I turned it into my blog which lets me be home with my daughter!

15/12/2016 at 14:58

Oh that’s so nice!! Thank you for sharing, I love reading experiences of others! πŸ™‚

16/12/2016 at 12:22
  • Reply Beth | Adventuring the Great Wide Somewhere

Who on earth said that having passions is a bad thing!? Shoot, NOT having passions is one of the reasons I finally started to blog! It feels good to have my “thing” and throw myself into it. I light up when talking about my blog, and I love to see others do the same when talking about the things they love. It gives life a whole extra dimension.

15/12/2016 at 15:09
  • Reply Daria

Totally agree Lisa! Passions and hobbies are important-they add a richness to our lives. You know the old story, no one ever says on their deathbed “I wish I’d worked more.” I feel really sorry for your professor.

15/12/2016 at 16:20
  • Reply Joleene

YAY to multi passionate-ism! I’m with you all the way. We are taught to do “one thing” growing up, and that more than one thing is a distraction. Just not true!

15/12/2016 at 18:14
  • Reply sarah

Very true!! I always say that by travelling you can find your passion – it doesn’t have to be travel, it might be nursing or teaching.

15/12/2016 at 22:38
  • Reply Kim Gorman

Great advice. The hobbies and interests are the important stuff – everything else just gets in the way πŸ™‚

15/12/2016 at 23:53
  • Reply Christina Berger

I have a passion for writing on Odyssey, and have developed a passion for wanting to do social work as a career. I have to start thinking about going to graduate school pretty soon! I think our passions can help us develop our skills within what we want to do meanwhile the things that we think we would like to do ends up being things that we can’t see ourselves doing

16/12/2016 at 2:18

Exactly Christina, I think the same! Thank you for sharing your opinion and for reading! πŸ™‚

16/12/2016 at 12:26
  • Reply marvina

Hi, I loved this. I totally agree. You can have many passions because the world is diverse and it’s yours for the taking. Whatever your passion is, put your whole heart into it because it’s yours. My passion right now is my blog. Encouraging people to create a life that they can be happy with, by discovering who they are on the inside. Because in my opinion, if you truly know yourself, then your life can and will be amazing. Great post. Can’t wait to read more. πŸ™‚

17/12/2016 at 22:35

Yess exactly!! You’ve got my point! Thank you for reading and leaving this lovely comment! πŸ™‚

18/12/2016 at 11:05