How to Organise Your New Year Goals as a Pro

That moment is arrived, that “Omg, another year is coming to an end, ALREADY!!” is here, can you believe it? I imagine most of you will agree that it’s in these kind of moments that you really realise how time flies! I don’t know you but in my case, this moment brings at the same time new energy and inspiration to start the following year in the best way. In the end, “every end brings with it a fresh start” right? πŸ˜‰

If you’re reading my blogs since a while now I think you’ll know that I’m definitely a goal person. And if you didn’t yes, I’m one of those people who writes down it’s goals, list, thing to do, whatever “organisational” thing you can write down, I do it. I see it as a way to being more motivated and focused, especially in those moments where motivation lacks.

Because of this, I thought about doing a post where I share some tips about how I organise my goals so that anyone who might struggle with this, can take it as example or inspiration plusss there’s a little surprise for you: I made a PRINTABLE Β which you can use as template where to write your goals down which I hope it’ll be useful! πŸ™‚ But let’s start with the suggestions first:

1 | WRITE THEM DOWN

As mentioned earlier I find writing my goals down very useful and practical. I usually write them in my agenda so that I always “have them with me” or in case modify them.

2 | WRITE GENERAL ONES FIRST

I believe goals are a process, and as every process it’s made by little steps. Because of this, I always to a little brainstorming of my general goals and then under each “main goal” I write a sub list of smaller goals I have to achieve in order to achieve the main one. For example, a main goal could be “To find a job” but, finding a job implies smaller steps before such as writing a proper CV and applying to jobs, so these ones would appear as a short list under the main goal.

3 | DEFINE A CHECKING TIME

Okay, now you have your general goals and your tactics to achieve them. And yes, your “time frame” is 2017 but one year is long and it could happen that without having a deadline your mind would always tell you “well, you still have time, it’s just February…March…June…” and then it’s November and you realise in one month the year is over! So what about setting checking times? For example
Main Goal: “To find a job by July 2017”
Tactic 1: Writing a proper CV by the end of January
Tactic 2: Applying to Jobs by half March

DSC00019.JPG

4 | THE MORE SPECIFIC, THE BETTER

Especially when writing down Tactics, that are the little steps which will help you reach your main goal, the specific you are in writing them the better you’ll be able to check and track how you are doing with it. For example, you could say “Applying to at least 5 job offers by half March”, so not only you have a time frame but you also have a quantitative parameter you can relay on.

5 | GIVE YOURSELF MARGIN

Having strict deadlines leads always to a bit of pressure, which yes, it’s good to have motivation but at the same time it could bring stress and worry, which will definitely not help you to achieve your goals. This is why, I always give myself a time “margin” when writing down my goals, I usually write down a date a bit earlier so that I know I still have a range of time to complete the task. Now, I know that many people are more of “last minute workers” and are actually more productive when the deadline is near so this is totally up to you to decide weather to write down a “real date” or a “margin date” πŸ˜‰

DSC00028.JPG

6 | BE OBJECTIVE

Now, when thinking about your goals and tactics you also have to be objective on what really depends on yourself and what not, otherwise you could find yourself being upset for not achieving a goal that didn’t really depend on how much effort you’ve put on.In the case of the “Finding a job” goal for example, stating “attending at least 3 interviews” could not really be convenient. This because attending an interview depends weather the company calls you or not and you don’t really have a security about that.

I hope you’ll find these points useful and as incentive to track a path make your goals come true! πŸ˜‰

Annnnnnd now, as promised, here is the PRINTABLE Β which you can use as template where to write your goals down (already divided in all the sections earlier mentionedΒ πŸ˜‰ ): my-2017-goals

Β Happy new goals, Happy new you, Happy new year!!

What about you? Do normally write down your goals and do you have any special technique to do it? I’d love to hear from you! πŸ™‚

• Reply Callie

Great tips! I just got a new planner, and I’m truly trying to stick to planning and goal setting better in the upcoming year. Thanks for sharing!

28/12/2016 at 22:20
  • Reply Divine

These are great tips. Write now I have my blog goals all organized. Time to get my life in place.

Divine

28/12/2016 at 23:33
  • Reply Bianca

I’m am deep in the throes of goal setting for NYE…definitely the goal setting time of year!

29/12/2016 at 1:00
  • Reply Allison

Love this Lisa! Such a great idea! I’m in the process of writing my own goals too! πŸ™‚

29/12/2016 at 2:34
  • Reply Wendy

Thank you for sharing this! I am definitely in need of a timeline to set my goals and achieve them! Will use your advice to start the new year! xo

29/12/2016 at 4:48

Oh I’m so glad to hear this Wendy! Thank you for your kind words!Happy New Year! πŸ™‚

29/12/2016 at 7:33
  • Reply Summer

Loved reading this! I am always setting goals and your tips make it easier to define and help you achieve those goals. Thanks for sharing!

29/12/2016 at 5:05

Aww Lisa, thank you for this inspirational and helpful post! Sometimes, goals aren’t the easiest for me, so I really appreciate your enthusiasm, your caring, and the fun and lightness you bring to the process. Much love and Light to you as you wrap up 2016 and move forward into the New Year. Blessings, Debbie πŸ™‚ ps – so glad to know you here on WordPress xo

29/12/2016 at 5:16

Ohh Debbie, you’re always so sweet! I’m glad you liked the post and I’m also very grateful to have connected with you! Happy start of a new chapter! πŸ™‚

29/12/2016 at 7:36
  • Reply Serena - Sognando Viaggi

Hi Lisa! I found your post…inspirational! I’ll try to follow it for my new goals πŸ™‚ Serena

29/12/2016 at 13:31
  • Reply Natalie

All the best to you for 2017!

29/12/2016 at 14:18
  • Reply Jenny

I love the idea of giving yourself a “checking time” because its so easy to make a list and be like “yeah I’ll get to it” but when you set a specific time it definitely makes you more adamant on getting it done. I also like the idea of being objective, it almost helps make it easier to get whatever it is done. I mean personally I love being able to cross things off my list (to seem more productive) but like oppose to being broad and not being able to cross if off completely- it makes total sense to get into finer detail (the whole job thing was a great example!) Very very clever! I’m such a list person too so this work nicely with how I work.

xo, JJ

29/12/2016 at 20:26

Oh Thank you Jenny! I’m so happy to hear you like the post and that is useful! Yes, you’ve totally got the point of why deadlines are useful!! Also happy to hear you’re a list person as well, the are so useful, aren’t they?! πŸ™‚

30/12/2016 at 9:16
  • Reply Diana

Hi! I nominated you for the Sunshine Blogger Award – you can find more info about the award here: https://handstandsaroundtheworld.wordpress.com/

Happy New Year!

-Diana

01/01/2017 at 19:40

Thank you very much Diana! I’ll definitely check it out! Happy new year to you as well! 😊

03/01/2017 at 18:47
  • Reply Pinayskattebasse

I like the last one being objective! πŸ™‚

02/01/2017 at 1:11

I’m terrible at writing my goals down which I realized recently that I do in fact, need to do it. It definitely helps! Thanks for the free sheet!

02/01/2017 at 22:59
  • Reply Zahra

Thank you for the tips. Will be keeping these in minds πŸ™‚

03/01/2017 at 8:52
  • Reply Petra

These are really helpful tips! I have already started my goals planning.

03/01/2017 at 8:58
  • Reply T.M. Brown

I agree, great tips! I’m infatuated with being organized, but having three children has made me a little more patient with myself and my Type A personality. I love writing down goals and love being able to check them off as accomplished. Good luck accomplishing yours!

03/01/2017 at 14:13
  • Reply Aisha

All excellent tips! This is my project for this week, particularly for my blog, so I’ll be using this as a guide. Thanks so much for sharing!

03/01/2017 at 14:46
  • Reply Natasha

Every point is such a good mention. Thank you for sharing this.

Best wishes to you for 2017!

Natasha x

03/01/2017 at 16:30
  • Reply Jen Monks

I am writing down first quarter goals this week, so thanks for the great suggestions and template.

03/01/2017 at 17:46
  • Reply Marie Green

Health goals are a big one for me and I find that getting our goals on paper really helps to hold us accountable. I like your tip on setting a general goal and then smaller goals that lead up to it. This really helps to keep the process from becoming overwhelming.

03/01/2017 at 21:08
  • Reply sarah

really awesome tips! I’m terrible when it comes to planning; I need to do it more :/ I’ll definitely use these tips!!

03/01/2017 at 21:33
  • Reply RACHEL

I need this. My goals start on the 23rd (it works for me for a reason lol). I can’t wait to use your printable!

04/01/2017 at 3:41
  • Reply Christina Berger

I started a new bullet journal last night, and i will be using it in 2017 to write down notes, goals, and plans for the year. While I do want to accomplish big things, I know that I will have to take it one step at a time.

04/01/2017 at 4:29

That’s so great! I love bullet journals! Good luck with achieving them and yes you’re totally right, one step at a time! πŸ™‚

04/01/2017 at 19:43
  • Reply Manon

I wrote about the exact same thing on my blog ! https://canvasofthoughts.wordpress.com/2016/07/14/how-to-work-toward-your-goals/

Great tips !

30/01/2017 at 12:15
  • Reply Sunday Suggestions #14 – fromdreamtoplan

[…] the first person here totally into goals and planning but living NOW and realising that what we have already is actually a lot, is so […]

05/03/2017 at 0:12
  • Reply Happy B(log)irthday! 5 Things I realized after 1 Year of Blogging – fromdreamtoplan

[…] I have to write and by when. Well okay, I think by know you’ll know how much I’m into organisation, lists, goals and… organisation πŸ˜€ But really, by using this techinique I limit so much the time wasted and maximise my […]

24/03/2017 at 23:20
  • Reply fromdreamtoplan - Once A Very Important Goal Is Achieved...Now What? | fromdreamtoplan.net

[…] thing is that it’s not necessary to have everything planned, a specific goal and all the actions ready. Sometimes it happens and sometimes the idea is more general and vague (you kinda need to have this […]

24/10/2017 at 13:58