How To Spend The Perfect Day In Bologna

Each time I’m back to Italy I try to take at least one day off to visit a place I’ve never been to. It’s funny thinking I’ve visited many countries but there are still so many areas and cities of my home country which I haven’t been to yet! I often manage to combine this “day trip” with a visit to a friend or maybe asking someone to join me in this little adventure so that I combine being home and saying hi to everyone and travellingΒ πŸ˜‰

This time during the Christmas break I’ve been to Bologna and I honestly enjoyed the city very much! Maybe because it was a beautiful sunny day or because my friend Emma gave me a few tips about where to go, well, let’s say both!

So let’s say the tour starts from the central train station of Bologna and you arrive there around 12 so it’s nearly lunch time. Having the train station on your back and crossing the street in front of it, if you turn left you’ll find yourself in via Indipendenza (via in Italian is streetΒ πŸ˜‰), one of the main streets of Bologna, also known as the shopping street.

By walking through this street you’ll already notice one of the many beautiful architectural characteristics of Bologna, i portici!

Many cities in Italy have them but you’ll find out that in Bologna there are really many of them! (Which is very good when it rains so you do not have to use your umbrella too muchΒ πŸ˜‰) Going always straight you’ll arrive at one of the main squares, Piazza Maggiore but my suggestion is to do a little deviation to the main path and go to the famous Finestrella di via Piella (which translated is, the little window of Piella Street).

What is special about this window is that is one of the only ones where you can see one of the few canals that are still visible in Bologna. Indeed, during the old times Bologna had many canals crossing the city but then when they started building around the city all the canals have been buried. Anyway, the view from that window reminded me a little bit about Venice, definitely worth a stop!

By the time you walk there and take some pictures you’ll have smelled so many food smells that your stomach will ask you to be feeded! For your luch break I have two suggestions, the first one is a place called “La Prosciutteria” it’s actually a chian from Florence but it has anything that reminds a boring and unpersonal food chain. What you can find here are or typical Italian “Panini” (Sandwiches) with many types of bread from focaccia to ciabatta or tuscan bread and filled wil all fresh ingredients, prosciutto, salame, veggies, fresh cheese…the list is so long that it’s better if I stop here! Otherwise you can opt for a “tagliere” which is similar to the concept of tapas, they’lll give you a little portion of everything with bread. They also have very good offers of drinks, many red or white Italian whine choices or beer.

porsciutteria

While if you really want to taste the typical Bolognese food (WHICH IS NOT SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE, please don’t even mention that 😁) the “Osteria dell’Orsa” will satisfy all your Italian food cravings! Of course, very much suggested is the “Spaghetti al ragu'” (which yes is what abroad is called “spaghetti bolognese”) but this is the real and original one!Β πŸ˜‰

After this satisfying break you’ll have all the energy to continue your Bologna tour! Getting back to via Indipendenza you’ll notice that you’ll be quite near to a very high tower, named Torre degli Asinelli. I bet the view from the top of the tower is amazing but unfortunately whe I was there the queue was very long to get in but if you have the time I think it would be worth it! Otherwise, just behind the tower there’s Saint Petronio Church which also has a terrace with a nice view (but again unfortunately, it was closed when we were there..).

torreasinelli

When you finished seeing these two main attractions you’ll notice that you are positioned in a very central location, indeed just a few minutes by walk you can reach all the other main squares of Bologna, Piazza della Mercanzia and Piazza Santo Stefano.

piazza

piazza2

piazza1

Bologna is also famous for it’s University, one of the oldest and best universities in Italy so I’m sure that if you’re interested there are part of it which you can visit. Also, there are often interesting exhibitions so I suggest you to check online for thoseΒ πŸ˜‰

As you can read, it’s quite a big city but it’s perfectly mangeable to just walk around, which I personally think it’s the best way to notice more details and characteristics of the city!

photo_2016-12-31_09-30-57

What about you, have you ever been to Bologna? Which was your favourite part of the city? I’d love to hear about it!Β

Pinterest | Facebook | Instagram | YoutubeΒ | Bloglovin

• Reply Curlygirlabroad

Bologna seems like a wonderful place to visit! Hope I get there one day πŸ™‚

11/01/2017 at 20:18
  • Reply Arielle

I did 6 hours in Bologna this summer. It’s the perfect city to spend a day in!

11/01/2017 at 20:47

What a great guide! I’ve been to Bologna many years ago and like many Italian cities, I loved it! I feel the same, there are so many nice places in your home country to discover πŸ˜‰

11/01/2017 at 20:47
  • Reply Vivien

Loved your photos! I’m heading back to Italy soon, and I’m hoping to squeeze in a trip to Bologna. I’ve got to see the canal for myself πŸ™‚

11/01/2017 at 20:47
  • Reply Jenny

That is simply amazing! I just learned yesterday that Bologna is in Italy when I went to Eataly. I was taste testing some prosciutto and the guy was telling me about Bologna! So coincidental that I get to see what it looks like over there right from your post today πŸ™‚ Perks of blogging!

xo, JJ

11/01/2017 at 21:07

Lisa, what a wonderful post. Thank you! I’ve been to many places in Italy, yet never to Bologna. This is so adorable and elegant at the same time. Your photos are really good (the canal one was particularly stunning).

I am sending you many blessings for 2017. You are off to a great start! πŸ™‚
    Many blessings,
    Debbie

12/01/2017 at 5:34

So glad you liked the post Debbie! Yes, that was definitely my favourite place! πŸ™‚
      Thank you! Happy Newe Year as well! πŸ™‚

12/01/2017 at 10:04
  • Reply Maia

I have to go to Bologna! It seems such a great city… you chose beautiul pictures!Great post πŸ™‚

12/01/2017 at 10:25
  • Reply Pooja @lostinprettyeurope

Hi Lisa. Love the post! The window with canal view is sooo cute. I thought it was a painting until I read further πŸ˜€ I haven’t been to Bologna yet, but there are many cheap flights from cities in Poland to Bologna. I think it might be a great day trip or weekend trip option to visit Bologna. Maybe when it gets warmer πŸ™‚

12/01/2017 at 14:10

Oh that would be amazing! Yes with warmer weather you’d definitely enjoy more! πŸ™‚

14/01/2017 at 20:53

I love exploring new cities by for. Bologna looks so pretty, especially the window! πŸ™‚

13/01/2017 at 2:41
  • Reply Amy

Firstly the food looks amazing. Secondly I now need to travel to Bologna, it looks so pretty! πŸ™‚

Amy x
    AmyJaynesThoughts

14/01/2017 at 17:10

So glad to hear that! And thank you for stopping by Amy, I just checked out your blog and I love it! Will definitely follow you! XX

14/01/2017 at 20:47
  • Reply Doni

What a beautiful country! Looks like you had a glam time! <3

16/01/2017 at 1:14
  • Reply viajando together

Hi, I’m Tacha from Viajando Together and I’m nominating you for the Sunshine Bloggers Awards

01/02/2017 at 23:49
  • Reply Karmen

I love the angles and different perspectives of your photographs! I really do need to visit Italy properly, I’ve only been to Venice πŸ™ˆ

14/02/2017 at 19:33
  • Reply Haya

Wow! I love your blog. You are travel goals!

14/02/2017 at 21:31
  • Reply SeekAndRead

Italy is one of my top 10 destination to visit, I hope I’ll make it this year. Nice pictures.

25/05/2017 at 20:11

Thank you! Oh I hope you’ll make it as well, there are so many things to see! πŸ™‚

26/05/2017 at 11:10