Visiting Paris on a Budget

It’s already been a few weeks from my trip to Paris mentioned here, but I didn’t want to write a “usual” post about it or just to say I’ve been there…if you read me since a while I think you know it, I want my posts to actually be useful and to have something special and worth to share!

So after thinking and thinking I came up with this idea: creating a mini-guide about how to visit Paris on a budget dividing it by categories which relate to aspects you consider when travelling. I hope it will be useful πŸ˜‰

Paris

GETTING AROUND
Transportation Deals + WalkWalkWalk!

Well, coming from one of the most expensive cities in the world (aka, London) the transportation costs in Paris didn’t seem that high to me but still, of course, it’s a cost! So, if you’re planning to visit areas which are far from each other in one day, getting the daily ticket is definitely convenient. Oh and if you’re between 20 and 26 during weekends you can buy daily tickets for just 4€! While if you’re planning to use the public transport for more than once during different days there are diverse options for touristic tickets, theΒ Books of ten, called a β€œcarnet” where you can buy 10 tickets at a discounted price, could be a great solution.

Paris2

Anyway, I strooongly suggest you go around mainly by walk. Yes, Paris it’s a big city but when you’re immersed in exploring and discovering a new city you won’t even realise how much you actually walk since the view will totally enchant you! And if you’re tired, well Paris is full of lovely spots, parks or cute streets with benches and chairs where you can rest, regenerate and at the same time admire what’s around you! πŸ™‚

DSC00913.jpg

Paris1

EATING
Embrace the Boulangerie life

I love eating local food when travelling and I love it, even more, when I’m in a country where food is good practically everywhere so it’s not necessary to go at a restaurant to eat well. Luckily France is one of the hometowns of good food! In particular, the amazing boulangerie (baker’s shop) are the perfect solution for tasting the typical food, not spending too much and if you’re a kind of traveller that doesn’t stop even for lunch, most of them are taken away! In these boulangerie you’ll find bread, pastries, quiches, croissants…anything that is part of the “goodies” of the French food world is available in these shops.

Boulangerie

While, if you’re looking for a place where to enjoy a good French dinner, sitting at a restaurant while drinking some amazing wine, reaching less famous arrondissments (areas of Paris) might be time-consuming but your wallet will thank you! For example the 5th arrondissements, in the area near Place Moge there are many cute and typical restaurants! Also, since they are less touristic areas, the food will be more close to the typical home-made food πŸ˜‰

Paris6

VISITING
Discounts & Seasonal discounts not to underestimate

Most of the popular attractions in Paris are not for free so this could increase the overall price of your trip… BUT there are actually a few interesting deals! The first Sunday of the month all the museums are free, which yes, this implies that loads of people will be there but the trick is to be there earlier or to go there in timings where others won’t normally go πŸ˜‰

Paris7

Also, practically everywhere student discounts are available and in some places like the Arc de Triomphe european citizens enter for free (remember your ID or driving licence though πŸ˜‰ )! Another thing that could make you save (quite a lot actually) is taking the stairs instead of the elevator, to reach Sacre Coeur for example. There are many steps to walk for sure, but while walking them you’ll admire the stunning view and appreciate more the final destination πŸ™‚

Paris3

Paris5

What about you, have you ever been to Paris? Which are your hacks to visit this amazing city on a budget? I’d love to hear about them! πŸ™‚

These are such great tips, I wish I knew some of these things before I went to Paris 2 years ago! I loved walking around and having good fresh croissants every day!

01/03/2017 at 0:10
  • Reply Lulu

Thanks for the great tips! I’ve been planning out my itinerary for my visit in May, and these will definitely come in handy. I’m glad you had such a fun time!

01/03/2017 at 0:56

Oh glad to read this! You’ll definitely enjoy plus, hopefully the weather will be warmer! πŸ™‚

03/03/2017 at 14:02
  • Reply Bree

Great post 😊 I agree Paris is such an easy place to get around via your legs. Walking is easy. If there are more than 2 of you it is cheaper to get back to your hotel via a taxi. Only cost us $12 euro . We got into the Carnevale museum for free . 😊

01/03/2017 at 5:41

These are great tips, Lisa! Thank you πŸ™‚ You brought back a lot of memories. One of my favorite is visiting a little impressionist museum on the left bank. It was much smaller than Musee de Orsay and in a house!! I loved it.

Blessings to you on your travel adventures. There’s a lot of love in what you write. πŸ™‚
    Debbie

01/03/2017 at 7:52

Oh I’ll write it down for next time then!

Thank you Debbie! Have a lovely weekend! πŸ™‚

03/03/2017 at 14:00
  • Reply Manon

Haha transportation is so expensive indeed, 7.3€ for an unlimited day pass only for zone 1 and 2 πŸ™ But museums are cheap as you said, most of them free even for Europeans under 26 !

01/03/2017 at 8:43
  • Reply pinayskattebasse

Paris is best appreciated by foot. I found out tourist bring band-aids when they visit Paris. I was sitting down while placing a new one in my toes when one tourist said to me: “Welcome to the club! Welcome to Paris!”. Hahaha

01/03/2017 at 10:23
  • Reply Sue from Sizzling Towards 60 & Beyond

I love Paris and you have brought back some lovely memories for me reading your post. It isn’t difficult to visit beautiful cities on a budget. I love walking and discovering the city. I might need another trip there after reading your post. Thanks! I popped over from Blog Share Learn.

01/03/2017 at 10:53

Thank you for stopping by and for your comment Sue!
      Paris is definitely a city full of beauties and going there more than once wouldn’t be boring at all! πŸ™‚

03/03/2017 at 13:57
  • Reply Elizabeth LaHoustonian

What a wonderful idea for a post and yes – valuable! I would love to be able to visit there one day – it’s a dream!! Ya never know πŸ™‚

01/03/2017 at 14:39
  • Reply Tatum

Even though I hated Paris, I do have to agree that the little bakery shops were perfect if you didn’t want to spend a lot of money! We opted for an AirBnb so we could make our own dinners sometimes which also saved money! Especially since we have expensive taste in wine haha.

01/03/2017 at 16:08

Oh I totally feel you! haha I stayed in an airbnb as well and cooking at home is definitely money-saving! πŸ™‚

03/03/2017 at 13:56
  • Reply Maggie

We are heading to Paris next week, so this is a timely post! I didn’t know that about the boulangeries, I will definitely be seeking those out! I just bookmarked the fondue place in your photo. Raclette is my favorite cheese ever and to have it in a fondue sounds amazing!

01/03/2017 at 16:25

Oh perfect then! Glad it’s useful πŸ™‚
      I love raclette as well, you’ll defintiely find a good one there! πŸ™‚

03/03/2017 at 13:55
  • Reply Stephanie

I have always wanted to go to France, and these tips really help make it more reasonable to go! That museum tip is great, because they can really add up.

Thanks for the post!

01/03/2017 at 16:48
  • Reply Monica

I love Paris. So true that walking around any city makes you explore it better and you end up saving some money. I did not know about the free museum day. Will use it next time. Thanks and lovely pics

01/03/2017 at 16:57
  • Reply Alyssa

GREAT information and tips! I love Paris, and I love it even more on a budget, ha!

01/03/2017 at 17:58
  • Reply Shelley

Awesome tips! Embracing the boulangerie life is a must + with all the walking baguettes feel guilt free πŸ™ŒπŸ»

01/03/2017 at 18:44
  • Reply Jenny

Oh Lisa, this post is so perfect! Not only did you pick the most perfect city to write this on but it’s so incredibly helpful. Especially since I’ve never traveled outside of the country, I feel like these are great tips that one should know prior to traveling! I’m that much more intrigued by your beautiful photographs of the city!

xo, JJ

01/03/2017 at 19:43
  • Reply Kyntra

I didn’t know about the youth price for the metro! Thanks for sharing. Your pictures are beautiful and loved your advice. If you plan on seeing sights, my only budget tip to add would be the Paris Museum Pass.

01/03/2017 at 22:20

Oh yeah that’s a good one as well! Thanks for mentioning it!
      Glad you liked the article πŸ™‚

03/03/2017 at 13:50
  • Reply Stephanie

What a great article! I didn’t realize there were discounts on the 1st Sunday of every month, thanks for sharing! I hope to return one day soon πŸ™‚

02/03/2017 at 1:52

Thank you Stephanie!
      Paris is such a lovely city, I would love to go back as well! πŸ™‚

03/03/2017 at 13:49
  • Reply Nano @ Travel With Nano B.

This is such a good list! I visited Paris years ago as a student and was on a strict budget. We tried not to eat out and got some groceries at the supermarkets to make sandwiches at the hotel. Also, entrance to Louvre was free on Wednesday night, which helped us save a bit. Fun days!

02/03/2017 at 8:44

Oh yeah I also buy food at the supermarket often!! And that’s so great that on Wednsday evening it was free! Thank you for reading πŸ™‚

03/03/2017 at 13:48
  • Reply Curlygirlabroad

Great tips! I visited Paris in November, also on a budget! My budget ideas were more or less the same as yours! πŸ˜‰

02/03/2017 at 19:24
  • Reply mia

Wow, I loved reading this! These are some really helpful tips xx

02/03/2017 at 20:11
  • Reply Meghan

I love these tips! I just went to Paris and used many of the things you mentioned to save money. One I didn’t know about was the difference in day passes for the train. It’s awesome that it is discounted on weekends!

03/03/2017 at 3:51
  • Reply Travellinn

I am going to Paris next weekend, so perfect timing for these tips! Thank you πŸ™‚

03/03/2017 at 17:43
  • Reply Alina

I am headed to Paris at the end of this month, and seems like I can use the first Sunday free museums thing in my favor! Also, thank you for the tip about the 5th restaurants, will check them out!

11/03/2017 at 16:10
  • Reply Jewels

This was such a comprehensive budget guide and just what I need for my next trip to Paris. Thanks for sharing!

11/03/2017 at 16:24
  • Reply BonBon

Thanks for sharing… Paris is possible with a tight budget indeed:) Im sharing this to friends.

11/03/2017 at 16:26
  • Reply Therie

Ooh love the museum tip! Thank you, Lisa!

19/04/2017 at 10:19
  • Reply Christine

such beauty in one post!

30/06/2017 at 13:44
  • Reply Joses Travel Tales

So glad to have found ur blog…lovely writing:) We are a travel couple from india living in Barcelona…do check out our blog if u like πŸ™‚

23/08/2017 at 21:15