It’s up to you

A couple of days ago I met a fellow expat. A girl who left her home country and moved to London to find a job.

We were sharing each other’s experiences and it immediately came out that she’s hating it here. She doesn’t like the house where she’s living, she doesn’t go along well with her housemates, her boss is very annoying and living in London is not like she expected it to be. As a positive-thinking person I tried to help her, I started to list a couple of things she didn’t mention hoping that on that side things were actually going well but nothing, she always managed to find something negative connected to it.

I really wanted to help her, really. I know how it is, not feeling well in a place and being hitted by negativity. But after a while I was talking to her, I understood, it wasn’t really about the house, the city or the job but her total approach to new things that was filled by negative vibes.

I think everyone here can agree that ALL OF US have felt that feeling of seeing everything in a negative way, it’s so normal and..human! But, at the same time, I think we’ll all recognize that holding this negativity doesn’t help and actually it can make things worse.

It’s challenging changing, it’s challenging taking decisions, it really is. From small ones like deciding to go to the gym every day to more important ones like deciding to move to another country. And despite all the good energy and effort you’ll put on it it’s totally normal to realise that actually, it’s not all rainbow and unicorns.

But you know what?

(and I know that here not everyone will agree but….)

IT UP TO YOU. It’s up to you to make it the best experience/day/decision ever or just a “thing that I tried”. And yes, circumstances can be different from what you expected, you may not find what you thought but it’s up to you to decide how to deal with it.

And bare in mind, this doesn’t mean that you’ll never make mistakes (where would the fun be then? :D) But everything you’ll do will be worth it, worth it to learn something new, to improve, to discover, to grow.

And if you’re still there thinking “Well, yeah, okay but what if I’m really struggling with the situation I’m in and can’t really find a way..?”

I’m sure this is not the first time you’re facing a difficult moment, right? How did you deal with that? How did you feel? I call it “Stairs Moment” (and I talked about more it here πŸ˜‰ ), and that moment is my savior, when I’m lost, scared or simply not positive about the outcome of a situation.

How special is it realising this? How special is it realising that you have all the power to turn an experience into the best ever? Looking back and thinking “I could have never thought it would have been this good.”

It’s up to you.

It’s up to you to see the beauty of everyday things.

How about you, can you relate to this words? What was a situation in which you saw everything negatively but then managed to lift yourself up again? I’d love to hear from you! πŸ™‚

• Reply Life...One Big Adventure

Unfortunately some people simply do not want to see the good in any situation. Their negativity is a habit they can’t or won’t break! I help where I can and then move on. Life is too short to get dragged down by them and it is their loss! Thanks for sharing. Mel

16/05/2017 at 22:59
  • Reply elizabeth

Couldn’t have said it better! Yes, sometimes life has a bad turn but it is totally up to you to make the best of it and find something good in your life to focus on, etc. – I’m a big believer in that!

17/05/2017 at 0:29
  • Reply Nano @ Travel With Nano B.

Lisa, I love the positivity that your post exudes. I keep telling it to myself all the time – it is up to me to choose whether I am happy or unhappy, and today (and every day) I choose happiness. No matter how rich, powerful, poor, successful etc. you are, there is always a reason for grief and stress, everyone is fighting their battles and no one’s life is perfect. Yet, it is up to us to concentrate on the positive in our lives, and hope the negative will be resolved in due course.

17/05/2017 at 4:09

You totally got my point Nano! Thank you for your comment and I’m glad you liked the post! πŸ™‚

18/05/2017 at 9:31
  • Reply Audrey

Love this post πŸ™‚ Positivity is the key!

17/05/2017 at 5:32
  • Reply Rosie

This is such an uplifting post, Lisa! I’ve had my fair share of ups and downs living abroad, but I find a walk round the nearby park usually helps boost my mood. Sometimes a change of scene is all I need πŸ™‚

17/05/2017 at 10:55

Oh yes that’s helpful indeed! I’m glad you could relate, thank you for reading Rosie! πŸ™‚

18/05/2017 at 9:30
  • Reply Antero

Good post.It depends all from the own decision and positivity is a choice and an attitude πŸ™‚ <3

17/05/2017 at 18:35
  • Reply Katelyn

I just recently moved back to my college town, and although I love this place, my living situation and current financial status isn’t exactly how I want it to be, I still maintain thinking positively because I know that the current bumps in the road are preparing me for the most amazing journey in my life. Thank you for this post! It was super relatable and delightful πŸ™‚

17/05/2017 at 20:24

Well said Katelyn, the best is yet to come!! Thank you for you comment and I’m glad you liked the post! πŸ™‚

18/05/2017 at 9:28

Yay! What a truthful, hopeful and utterly inspiring blog post, Lisa. I couldn’t agree more with everything you mentioned. It may indeed not always be so easy to try and be optimistic and positive but it is worth a try.

Hope you’re well. See you! x

18/05/2017 at 0:50

Yess exactly! Thank you Giulia for your shining comment, I’m glad you enjoyed the post!
      Hope you’re doing well as well! 😘

18/05/2017 at 9:27
  • Reply Kali

I really love this message. It’s something that I struggle with myself, but it’s a message that everyone should hear xx.

22/05/2017 at 16:28
  • Reply Charity

Hey, I just stumbled upon your blog and my, am I in love! I’ll definitely be reading more of it. I love travel too πŸ™‚
    About this kind of approach to life, I’ve gotten to realize that just as you say, everything in life is based on how we take it, our reaction and emotion towards it. And we are all different so some people will keep whining about a situation, others will take it as a lesson & others will totally ignore it.
    I personally love taking the positive approach: Pick my lesson and move on. πŸ™‚

24/05/2017 at 9:53

Ohh thank you so much! ❀
      Yes exactly, you got my point!
      Thank you very much for reading! πŸ™‚ I’ll check out your blog as well! πŸ™‚

25/05/2017 at 15:25
  • Reply When your shortcomings hold you back – Roses and Thrones

[…] my flaws, tomorrow. Be sure to hop on over for a read. Plus, check out this post by fromdreamtoplan It’s up to you. It reminds you that how you react to the negativity in life, is really in your […]

01/06/2017 at 12:52
  • Reply Sydney

This post was really helpful for me, as I’m in the process of moving to Australia (from the U.S.). Thanks for sharing your wisdom! I looked around your blog and I love what you have to say and how you say it. I’m looking forward to following along! <3

13/06/2017 at 23:46

Thank you very much! I’m glad you find it helpful! And I’ll check out your blog for sure! πŸ™‚

22/06/2017 at 0:15
  • Reply 3 Statements I Have Repeatedly Been Told During My First Solo Trip | fromdreamtoplan

[…] month trip if you’d told me a couple of years ago…because you know what girl (or boy!) it’s up to you!!” Β It’s up to you to take the courage and do it! Maybe not a month and maybe not to […]

26/07/2017 at 22:34
  • Reply Thrifty Campers

So very true, it is only human of us to see things from a negative standpoint. Being aware of it and taking it upon ourselves to change and have a bit more of a positive outlook is what matters:)

10/09/2017 at 17:46