3 Statements I Have Repeatedly Been Told During My First Solo Trip

My trip to Canada was a blast for many points of views. One of these is that I experienced solo travelling for the first time and I must say, it has been very interesting. I discovered a new perspective of travelling and new aspects of myself as well!

I’ve previously talked about the pros and cons of solo travelling in this post here and as specified at that moment I never travelled solo before. Now that I did and have had a first-hand experience, I definitely confirm what my fellow travel bloggers stated in that post!

So, instead of talking about those aspects of solo travelling I thought about sharing with you the 5 Statements I have often been told when people realised that yes, I was travelling solo, yes, from the other side of the world and yes, I am a female solo traveller.

1 | “So, just for one?”

Think about any travel you’ve made and think about how many times you’ve asked for something that required specifying the number, like tickets, for example, booking at a restaurant, sometimes even when ordering coffee. Now, imagine that nearly every time you did one of these actions the asked you back:”Only one?”/”Just for one?”/”Anyone else?” At the beginning, I nearly felt guilty saying “yes” but after I while I actually thought “hey, probably a

•  “Only one?”
  •  “Just for one?”
  •  “Anyone else?”

And you’re there like “hmm…yeah..” At the beginning, I nearly felt guilty saying “yes” but after I while I actually thought “hey, probably a couple of years ago I would have never thought I could have managed to travel by myself and look at me now, I’m in the other part of the world handling a month trip alone! I’m actually proud of doing this! Why should I be scared to answer?!” And from that moment on my answer to the question was a straight and pleased “YES”

Probably the most fun question I received was in Kingston, the man checking the tickets for the boat tour I booked, while asking for my ticket, said: “So, who’s in the party?!”

I looked at him and I answered “Just me!”

He smiled and replied, “Oh, well…that will be fun as well!”

Kind of a memorable moment haha.

My first lake canoeing experience!

2 | “You’re very brave! I couldn’t do that!!”

When I first heard this statement I, of course, felt very pleased and proud. I mean, let’s admit it,

I mean, let’s admit it, travelling solo is not easy so, seeing that someone recognises it gives you a little boost to keep going and reminds you one of the reasons why you did it: challenge yourself.

But, immediately after this “proud of me” moment I thought “Well, is not that you’re born ready, I also wouldn’t have thought I’d be able to handle a solo month trip if you’d told me a couple of years ago…because you know what girl (or boy!) it’s up to you!!”  It’s up to you to take the courage and do it! Maybe not a month and maybe not to the other part of the world but if you really want to try, start from a small trip and see how it is! Why limiting yourself without even trying? (right?!)

If I made it, there are no reasons why you can’t make it!

3 | “How come you came by yourself?”

I believe this is a spontaneous question you have anytime you see a person by him/herself travelling. But I also believe, that for many travellers the answer is “I tried to involve friends or other people but there’s always an excuse or we can’t manage to organise and I waited for enough time, it was time to leave!!” SO TRUE.

Travelling, especially organising big trips, is not easy and if other people are involved as well is even more complicated. If you find the right travel-buddy, amazing! But otherwise, are you really willing to wait an undeterminated amount of time or your curiosity to visit that place is bigger? Your choice!

Of course, this is not the only reason why one travels alone. Perhaps there are people that WANT to travel by themselves to spend some alone time or maybe because they didn’t find the right people who to share an experience like this with. Let’s admit it, to share an experience like an important trip you really have to be sure your two travel styles fit otherwise it could ruin the whole experience!

What about you, have you ever travelled solo? Were you also been told these statements or others? I’d love to hear from you!

• Reply Ingrid

I admire you for doing this and for sharing your thoughts and impressions so openly 🙂 You sure seem to have enjoyed Canada and life is all about doing the things that make us happy whenever we want, even if we sometimes need to step out of our confor zone

27/07/2017 at 5:50

Thank you Ingrid! Yes, I agree! It tough but once you do it you realise how many new things there are to discover and learn! 🙂

27/07/2017 at 13:06
  • Reply Becca

Awesome post! I can totally relate- often I can’t find the right people to travel with and don’t have time to wait for others to be ready. It sometimes sucks but you meet some amazing people when travelling solo too!

27/07/2017 at 6:15

Yes right?! Travelling opens your eyes in so man ways and meeting new people is definitely one of the great aspects of it! 🙂

27/07/2017 at 13:05
  • Reply Serena - Sognando Viaggi

I admire you, I have never travelled abroad completely alone (only daily trips by bus, so it’s not the same 😉 ). Be always proud of you and of your amazing experiences!

27/07/2017 at 11:53
  • Reply Deborah

Keep on keeping on. I started traveling at your age then had to put it on hold for … well, life. Now I’m back at it with gusto. Love your blog!

27/07/2017 at 12:21
  • Reply Brittany Hendricks

I have never travelled alone before, but it seems like this is becoming more of a common trend. I do agree that planning group trips can be very difficult.

27/07/2017 at 15:40
  • Reply Michelle | michwanderlust

This sounds so familiar! I travelled solo around Ecuador and Colombia for a couple of months, so I can empathise. I very quickly learned not to admit that I was by myself in certain situations though. It’s so hard to strike the balance between protecting yourself and being friendly, isn’t it?

28/07/2017 at 18:22

Oh yes I totally agree! I’ve also faced that struggle in some situations and it’s quite difficult to decide it on the spot!

29/07/2017 at 17:15
  • Reply Lisa

Lisa, I wrote a post about the same subject, but from the point of view that I encourage people to travel solo at least once in their life. I’ve heard all of your points, along with, ‘don’t you feel lonely?’ and ‘are you here visiting friends/family?’ even though I already said I’m solo! Oh well, the joys of travelling solo as a female…

28/07/2017 at 18:41

Haha yes exactly! I’ll definitely read your post, I’d also think solo travelling is an experience to try at least once in the life! 🙂

29/07/2017 at 17:16
  • Reply Camila

I’ve heard those three so many times! People underestimate how much fun you can have by yourself. To your second point, travelling on your own is a huge step to take. People can start dipping their toes with simple things like going to the movies or to a concert by themselves.
    Personally, I love travelling by myself. I take my time taking pictures, eat when I fell like it, I get to meet new people, it’s so fun! Not to mention that it’s an empowering experience. I do recommend women taking a self-defense course before travelling solo.
    This is such a great post! Thanks for sharing it!

28/07/2017 at 18:43

Exaclty! Being the only one who has to take decisions is so fun! Thank you for reading and commenting Camila 🙂

29/07/2017 at 17:18
  • Reply Melissa

I think it is so great that you did this. I would like to try it sometime but I know it would be hard for me.

31/07/2017 at 20:15

Thank you! I think you never know if you never try so maybe you could start by doing a simple thing like going for a day trip by yourself or even just to a place near your town (like a museum) by yourself and see how it seems 🙂 just take it step by step and if you realise it’s not the thing for you well, at least you know and you’ve tried 🙂

01/08/2017 at 10:56
  • Reply Maggie

I am currently planning my first solo trip and this post just inspired me to go for it an be brave and make the most of it.

Maggie x

31/07/2017 at 21:19

Ohh that’s so good! Where are you going? I’m glad this post helped! Happy travels Maggie 🙂

01/08/2017 at 10:56
  • Reply Ashley

I’m starting to mentally prepare myself for these questions. Even now, people ask me all the time, “so it’s just going to be you?” Thanks for giving me a positive outlook on that!

02/08/2017 at 0:31

Hahaha yep I feel you! But keep going, I’m sure you won’t regret it! Glad this post was useful 🙂

03/08/2017 at 17:20
  • Reply Nano @ Travel With Nano B.

I don’t understand why some people find solo traveling odd. I do it very often and love it! There are so many perks for exploring on your won. I love flexibility and actually end up meeting more people than when I’m with someone. Your first point reminded me of a recent incident I had at a cute cafe in Tokyo. Their lattes looked very cute and I wanted to order more than one, which I did. You should have seen a face of the waitress. She couldn’t understand why I was ordering two lattes if I was alone 😀 xx, nano

04/08/2017 at 15:33

Haha I can imagine the lattes scene! But yes so right, you meet way more new people when you’re yourself! 🙂

06/08/2017 at 12:24
  • Reply Christina

I was on my first solo trip a couple of months ago too and I must say I really, truly enjoyed it! It was only for two days and nothing major, but for me it was a ‘big’ step to test the unknown waters. I could never imagine myself going on a solo trip a few years ago, but I came to realize that travelling solo includes many advantages than compared to travelling in a group that you are not 100% comfortable in or in a group in which you always have to make compromises. haha I am rambling, sorry 😀 thanks for sharing, anyways 🙂 are you planning on doing any future solo trips?

09/08/2017 at 15:25

That’s great to hear Christina and I totally agree with what you wrote! Thank you for commenting! And yes, after this experience I definitely have no problem in doing it again, of course I wouldn’t travel solo all the times from now on, I still have good travel-mates luckily but in case they can’t I have no problem going by myself! What about you? 🙂

14/08/2017 at 12:23
  • Reply Linda Luke

I had a friend who was a flight attendent and traveled solo all of the time. He loved it and said he was able to connect with people easily. Maybe some day I will do the same.

21/09/2017 at 17:17
  • Reply fromdreamtoplan - 5 Aspects Of Blogging That Helped Me Obtaining My First Job | fromdreamtoplan.net

[…] been 3 months now that I graduated from my across-Europe Bachelor degree, went on my first solo trip to Canada aaand started my first full time job as Digital Marketing Executive! (Yeah, it has been […]

28/09/2017 at 0:26