3 Amazing Reasons Why You Should Keep Pursuing Your Passion

3 reasons why you should keep pursuing your passion

If you’re not a first-time reader of my blog, you’ll know by now that yes, I am a person with quite a lot of interests and passions from travelling to scrapbooking, digital marketing, singing and more!Β (If you are a new reader well, hello and welcome! You can know a little more about me here).

I can’t even imagine living my life without my hobbies!

But well, as my mother always thought me “the world is beautiful because it’s diverse.”

Not all of us have hobbies (and, don’t get me wrong, that’s totally okay!) and maybe because of this, people who do not have one don’t conceive how it feels having a passion. Some of them are even convinced that having a hobby or diverse interests could not be good, “in the end, they are all distractions to more important stuff” they say (and yes, I’ve really heard this from more than one person).

Last but not least, one of my uni teachers conducted a survey to prove that people who are involved in extra-curricular activities have lower grades than people who are totally focused into uni.

When I hear this thing I honestly become so upset and angry. Not for me personally. I’m proud of my passions and I consider them a very important part of my life.

I’m upset and sorry for those people who after hearing these negative thoughts about having a passion, give up on it because “maybe yes, it’s just a waste of time”.

Well hey you, yes, you who are reading this post, If you can relate to this thought or if you’re actually one of the people mentioned above, please consider reading this 3 reasonsΒ why pursuing a passion is an amazing advantage:

3 reasons why you should keep pursuing your passion - www.fromdreamtoplan.net

1 | YOU DEVELOP PRECIOUS BILATERAL SKILLS

By having other interests besides your job/study you can actually develop different skills Click To Tweet

For example, by overcoming my stage fright when singing, I now have no problems during presentations I often had to do at uni and now at work. Blogging as well has been a secret weapon that enabled me to get my first full-time job.

2 | YOU CONNECT WITH INSPIRING AND PASSIONATE PEOPLE

Your hobby/passion can be a great tool to connect with new people who can inspire you Click To Tweet

An example can be blogging, when I started blogging I would have never thought that the bloggers’ community would have been so big and such of a support. I am so grateful to be part of this world and to have connected (and some of them met as well) with amazing people, all with different backgrounds but united by same ways of thinking!

3 | YOU CREATE YOUR “SWITCH OFF” MOMENT & GET NEW MOTIVATION

Having a hobby/passion is a great way for de-stressing and getting new motivation! Click To Tweet

How many of us have super stressful and busy moments where maybe because of tiredness or too much work weΒ lack motivation?

In cases like these, finding time for yourself and doing what you like the most is the best cure! For instance, for me, these “switch off” moments are singing or travelling. When I sing I totally disconnect from what’s going on in my life and I just concentrate on enjoying the moment. Same with travelling, even by just exploring a new neighbourhood of London, it helps me free my mind for a while and the curiosity of seeking something new prevails on everything else.

I really hope this short list convinced all those who are giving up on their passions or just let them apart to actually keeping them as an amazing part of their lives!

What about you? Which are your passions and do you think they have secondary benefits as well? I’d love to hear from you!Β

YES Lisa, I agree! My passion is forgivingconnects … this blog, videos that I do, and maybe writing a book and doing workshops. And also gardening. And running. πŸ™‚

I’m looking a lot about what I want to create for 2017, and your post is helpful. You are so creative and enthusiastic, thanks.

I’m off to a spiritual retreat for a week. Take good care of yourself,
    Debbie

13/12/2016 at 0:35

Totally agree with you Lisa! I love traveling which has benefited me in that I’ve had so many opportunities to meet new people who I have made long lasting friendships with! Thanks for sharing these points!

13/12/2016 at 4:28

Yess exactly, travelling is so great from so many point of views! Thanks for reading Tay! πŸ™‚

13/12/2016 at 19:28
  • Reply Arielle

Damn, what kind of psycho professor thinks people shouldn’t have passions outside of school? I didn’t end up getting a job based on what I studied in uni; my extracurriculars got me the skills I needed for my job! Plus what kind of capitalist nightmare is it to be someone who just works works works with nothing else going on in their life?

13/12/2016 at 12:15

Yes exaclty!! That’s what I think as well! I couldn’t stand living like that at all!

13/12/2016 at 19:29

What you’ve listed here is SO accurate! That’s the amazing thing about blogging, you can actually combine all of your passion into one place, and in the end blogging becomes a passion too! Amazing post! x

13/12/2016 at 19:47
  • Reply Charlotte

Such a good post and important topic to discuss. This is a great reminder for those who get too busy to do something they love! It’s good for the soul! x

14/12/2016 at 16:33
  • Reply Vicki @ Babies to Bookworms

I agree! ONe of my passions has always been children’s books. When the were no teaching jobs available, I turned it into my blog which lets me be home with my daughter!

15/12/2016 at 14:58

Oh that’s so nice!! Thank you for sharing, I love reading experiences of others! πŸ™‚

16/12/2016 at 12:22
  • Reply Beth | Adventuring the Great Wide Somewhere

Who on earth said that having passions is a bad thing!? Shoot, NOT having passions is one of the reasons I finally started to blog! It feels good to have my “thing” and throw myself into it. I light up when talking about my blog, and I love to see others do the same when talking about the things they love. It gives life a whole extra dimension.

15/12/2016 at 15:09
  • Reply Daria

Totally agree Lisa! Passions and hobbies are important-they add a richness to our lives. You know the old story, no one ever says on their deathbed “I wish I’d worked more.” I feel really sorry for your professor.

15/12/2016 at 16:20
  • Reply Joleene

YAY to multi passionate-ism! I’m with you all the way. We are taught to do “one thing” growing up, and that more than one thing is a distraction. Just not true!

15/12/2016 at 18:14
  • Reply sarah

Very true!! I always say that by travelling you can find your passion – it doesn’t have to be travel, it might be nursing or teaching.

15/12/2016 at 22:38
  • Reply Kim Gorman

Great advice. The hobbies and interests are the important stuff – everything else just gets in the way πŸ™‚

15/12/2016 at 23:53
  • Reply Christina Berger

I have a passion for writing on Odyssey, and have developed a passion for wanting to do social work as a career. I have to start thinking about going to graduate school pretty soon! I think our passions can help us develop our skills within what we want to do meanwhile the things that we think we would like to do ends up being things that we can’t see ourselves doing

16/12/2016 at 2:18

Exactly Christina, I think the same! Thank you for sharing your opinion and for reading! πŸ™‚

16/12/2016 at 12:26
  • Reply marvina

Hi, I loved this. I totally agree. You can have many passions because the world is diverse and it’s yours for the taking. Whatever your passion is, put your whole heart into it because it’s yours. My passion right now is my blog. Encouraging people to create a life that they can be happy with, by discovering who they are on the inside. Because in my opinion, if you truly know yourself, then your life can and will be amazing. Great post. Can’t wait to read more. πŸ™‚

17/12/2016 at 22:35

Yess exactly!! You’ve got my point! Thank you for reading and leaving this lovely comment! πŸ™‚

18/12/2016 at 11:05
  • Reply Heather

Following your passion and the motivation in this article is lovely!

30/10/2017 at 13:21
  • Reply sarganser

Hello Lisa
    Thanks for sharing, I think failing to pursue what we are passionate about, we will never be fulfilled, there will always be this “what ifs”Really enjoyed your post

30/10/2017 at 13:24
  • Reply Irena

Great article, Lisa! And there are so much more reasons to keep pursuing our passion…actually, there are no reasons not to:-) Your post is inspiringπŸ’• Good work:-)

30/10/2017 at 14:17
  • Reply Johanne

When I went to college, I actually didn’t spend any time on studying or extra-curricular activities. Horrible, I know. So, back then I really didn’t feel passionate about anything. Luckily that has changed over the years and I discover that my real passion is writing. I have been able to make a career out of it, but I love it more when I blog.

30/10/2017 at 15:09

That’s so cool you ended up finding your passion! Thank you for sharing Johanne! πŸ™‚

30/10/2017 at 17:57
  • Reply Jeremy@ThirstyDaddy

couldn’t agree with this more. I think that its so important to have a diverse set of interests and activities. Makes us more rounded and exposed to different things

30/10/2017 at 15:40
  • Reply Jaime Porter

Great post, and encouraging! I have a lot passions that I want to pursue but almost feel guilty for that at times. Well, no more! Thanks for this.

30/10/2017 at 18:52
  • Reply Chloe

Yes! What a brilliant post. It pains me so much to see people give up on their dreams just because society says it’s not possible. Thank you for reminding us that we can do anything we set our mind to:)

30/10/2017 at 19:07
  • Reply Theresa Bailey

I agree with you. I’ve found so many amazing friendships with fellow bloggers!

31/10/2017 at 1:52
  • Reply Kristi McAllister

You make some very good points! Writing is my true passion, but I also love to color. I’d say both of those are my hobbies! And I think everybody needs to connect with others who share the same passion, so you hit the nail on the head there! Thanks for sharing!

31/10/2017 at 17:00
  • Reply Federica M

I totally agree! Not anyone can make a job of his passion, but we should totally pursuit it because it bould be useful also for develop abilities we could need for a job! And, of couse, an hobby is useful to de-stress and motivate. I like your posts, I’m following you!

xx Federica | https://federicasdreams.wordpress.com

31/10/2017 at 17:05
  • Reply AJ Sefton

When I was growing up, there were several people who were born, lived and died in the same street – some in the same house. They went to Blackpool for their holidays, went for a pint once a week in the same pub (walking distance) and watched tv. I found that very depressing. No more hobbies than that. Born, work, get married to someone from the same street, have children, die. Some liked to follow football but that’s about it. No one played any instruments or collected orchids, read books or visited galleries. Obviously this was not everyone but it was a huge fear that people lived such empty, one dimensional lives. Why give up on dreams once you grow up? Otherwise, what is the point in being born at all? Thoughtful post!

31/10/2017 at 18:08

I totally agree with you! Thank you for sharing your experience and for reading! πŸ™‚

01/11/2017 at 11:59
  • Reply Mia

Couldn’t agree more! I’ve always stayed involved with digital marketing and fashion despite my day jobsβ€”having a side hustle as a freelance social media marketer and a passion for blogging and fashion retail makes a huge difference in the way I conduct myself day to day. The pursuit of happiness! πŸ™‚

01/11/2017 at 15:54

Glad you could relate to the post! So cool to hear about your experience as well, thank you for sharing Mia πŸ™‚

01/11/2017 at 16:50
  • Reply Yuyu

This is so true. I’ve always afraid of doing so as I’m afraid of getting out of my comfort zone. It just feels so hard and wrong to do it but once I did, I never look back πŸ™‚

01/11/2017 at 15:54
  • Reply Vicki

Fabulous post, and always a great attitude to have. I’d have to say my fav thing about staying passionate is the peopke that you meet who inspire you with their own passion.

03/11/2017 at 12:41
  • Reply Nicole N

I love your blog! This post is so inspiring – As a student, I sometimes focus all my attention to my studies and forget to make time for my passions (writing, digital media, photography, travelling, yoga). It’s important to establish a balance between the two!!

03/11/2017 at 18:45
  • Reply fromdreamtoplan - My First Book Review: The Idea In You

[…] than others: it start from zero. It gives you hints and tipsΒ (unerlining how important it is to have passions and hobbies) about how you could actually find the idea and how actually ANYTHING could be THE […]

05/11/2017 at 22:30
  • Reply Anne N

Very inspiring post Lisa! Thanks for sharing this! I always believe that passion make people feel alive the most πŸ™‚

17/11/2017 at 3:16
  • Reply kingajpg

Ah I loved this post so much! Thank you for putting this inspiration out there! I’ve recently had a dilemma whether or not to go for a “back up”/side hustle idea I had because I was scared that if I do, I would completely abandon my real passion, but from this post I gathered that it’s okay to have two things that you love to do. I know following both paths will help me in some way. Thank you! (Just found your blog and loving it!)

18/11/2017 at 14:24